The Council of State Governments (CSG) Justice Center is a national nonprofit organization that provides practical, nonpartisan, research-based strategies and tools to increase public safety and strengthen communities. The CSG Justice Center works closely with government executives, legislative leaders, judges, prosecutors, defense attorneys, victim advocates, and others to develop consensus on criminal justice issues and to translate this consensus into comprehensive reports, policy briefs, state and federal legislation, model policies, and innovative programs. The CSG Justice Center produces original research, develops print and web-based materials, and provides on-the-ground technical assistance to policymakers and practitioners from multiple systems (corrections, behavioral health, housing, etc.) in state and local jurisdictions.
Job Title: Program Associate
Reports to: Division Director, External Affairs
Location: New York, NY
The Program Associate will work with the External Affairs Division to help advance comprehensive, ongoing, organization-wide initiatives, including strategic campaigns, media relations, and event coordination.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of the Program Associate include but are not limited to:
- Work under the direction of the External Affairs Division Director in close coordination with other staff on the External Affairs team across a range of projects.
- Prepare briefs, memos, talking points, press releases, and op-eds on various criminal justice issues that will be submitted to the Justice Center's executive leadership, policymakers, funders, practitioners, the media, and the criminal justice field;
- Prepare for and assist the External Affairs and Communications teams with the planning of media events and other meetings of government officials, funders, advocates, practitioners, and national experts;
- Compile, draft and assist with updates to executive leadership and funders that detail the Justice Center's progress and activities;
- Provide general administrative support;
- Monitor timelines, budgets, and deliverables to ensure that responsibilities to funders are met in assigned project areas;
- Develop accurate project plan for all assigned projects, modify as needed and direct close-out of completed jobs including the receipt of all required documentation;
- Manage assigned projects to completion, ensuring that all activities are coordinated and completed on time and within budget;
- Facilitate effective communication and collaboration between internal and external partners, including policymakers, members of the media, and funders;
- Work with CSG legal team to develop contractor scope of work, coordinate with and monitor work of contractors;
- Communicate with internal and external stakeholders, as directed;
- Lead internal deployment meetings with other team members to review the status of each project and implement changes as necessary to ensure timely project completion;
- Ensure that all jobs are maintained in a project tracking system with complete accuracy.
Skills and Abilities
- Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently;
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills and an analytical mind;
- Strong communication skills and the ability to demonstrate sensitivity and tact;
- Ability to juggle multiple projects in an efficient and accurate manner;
- Extreme attention to detail, both with written products as well as project management;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including maturity, an ability to work independently and in a team setting, and a sense of humor;
- Ablity to make independent decisions;
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, political science or related field.
- At least two years of work experience, ideally in the field of public relations and/or politics.
- Exposure to criminal justice policy a plus.
Physical Requirements Essential to Perform the Duties of the Job
- Frequently communicates with internal and external coworkers and customers;
- Frequently views the computer to create press materials, memos, and presentations;
- Frequently remains in a sitting position to perform desk duties;
- Frequently uses the computer with fingers and hands;
- Frequently works in a well-lit, tempered room;
- Occasionally walks throughout office to communicate with coworkers;
- Seldom lifts objects, such as files or paper boxes, with weight up to 25 pounds.
Interested individuals should complete the online application and upload the following documents in PDF format:
Cover letter specifying the location for which you are applying
- Two writing samples (preferably no more than three pages)
- Names and contact information for references (at least three)
CSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer (Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disabled)
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.