The Senior Network Design Specialist is responsible for the design, configuration and implementation of routers, switches, firewalls and any related products required to support VOIP technologies and other applications. The responsibilities include monitoring and troubleshooting of hardware, software and networking problems of the LAN and WAN environment.
Performs job duties consistent within safety, legal, and regulatory requirements; company standards, culture and business practices. Acts with the highest level of business and personal ethical standards in all aspects of job performance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Design and deploy LANs, WANs, and wireless networks, including routers, data switches and VoIP telephone systems.
- Configure networks to ensure their smooth and reliable operation for fulfilling business objectives and processes.
- Create and maintain documentation as it relates to network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records.
- Perform network assessment for VoIP deployment.
- Assist with disaster recovery for our customers.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for network administration, usage, and disaster recovery.
- Conduct research on network products, services, protocols, and standards to remain abreast of developments in the networking industry.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports and troubleshoot problem areas as needed
- Support Marketing staff with technical assistance or guidance.
- Contributes to departmental activities and programs by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to learn additional skills pertaining to telephony products
- Ability to obtain ShoreTel, AVAYA or Samsung technical certifications
- Strong, applied technical knowledge of network, Cisco or Adtran IOS and Microsoft operating systems
- Expertise supporting Cisco IOS, Cisco switches, PIX and ASA firewalls
- Working technical knowledge and ability to troubleshoot current Cisco, Adtran or HP network hardware
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of routing protocols RIP, OSPF, BGP, EIGRP and QoS
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology or related field, combined with at least seven years of network administration experience
- CCNA Certification or equivalent
- CCNP Certification preferred
- Proven experience and success with network design and implementation.
- Experience designing Wi-Fi networks.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, and the work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
FairPoint Communications reserves the right to change or revise duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This document is not a written or implied contract of employment.
FairPoint Communications is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.