May perform basic and guided intermediate donor and/or patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. May resolve compatibility problems; provide basic reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. May perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements.
1. May perform telephone consultation including receiving and completing orders for antigen negative products.
2. Maintain equipment, reagents and other stock to assure the quality and accuracy of laboratory test procedures. Ensure adequate inventory of required supplies and prepares reagents.
3. Perform duties associated with supply and reagent management to include ordering, receiving, inspection, preparation, and quality control of supplies and reagents.
4. Perform duties associated with receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples.
5. May perform and interpret basic donor and/or patient testing procedures, guided complex serologic problem resolution and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations.
6. May perform guided complex serologic problem resolution.
7. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level.
Bachelor’s degree with major in biological science or chemistry with 1 year experience of laboratory testing or MLT (ASCP) certification or equivalent required. Three years of blood bank experience desired. State license may be required where applicable.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights