As an employee at the American Red Cross, you could be on the front lines making a positive impact on our community. You could provide your services directly to the American public or support to the people who do. Both roles help further the mission of the Red Cross. Join our non-profit organization, where your heart and mind go to work!
We are currently seeking 2 Community Transportation Drivers in Columbus, Ohio. These are PART TIME ON CALL (PTOC), hourly positions with variable schedules which could include days, evenings, early morning and weekend hours.
The Community Transportation Driver will be responsible for transporting elderly and disabled clients throughout Columbus, Ohio. This includes clients that utilize a wheelchair. Driver must be able to push/pull a client in a wheelchair and secure the wheelchair in the vehicle. Previous experience in delivery, taxi, and/or working with an elderly population preferred. Training provided: Defensive Driving, CPR/First Aid, & DRIVE (Transporting Older Adults and Those with Disabilities).
1. Drives vehicle to pick-up, deliver and properly store correspondence and products.
2. Operates vehicle safely and within traffic laws. May require driving in inclement weather conditions.
3. Follows an assigned route. Reads and interprets maps and directions.
4. May maintain logs and reports for daily runs.
5. Maintains vehicle in a clean condition. May check fluid levels and gas vehicle.
6. May provide shipping and receiving support.
7. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross Staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
8. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential including sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: High School or equivalent. Ability to become proficient with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Experience: Minimum 1 year of previous experience driving a truck or passenger van required.
Skills and Abilities: Must have valid driver’s license and clean DMV record. Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills. Ability to prioritize tasks; complete in a timely and accurate manner.
If this sounds like the kind of opportunity that you've been waiting for, please apply at:
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights