Conduct donor health history screening to determine eligibility and complete the phlebotomy for the collection of manual and automated blood units. Perform blood drive support functions as assigned. Demonstrate excellence in customer service and public relations to promote a positive, professional image of the American Red Cross Biomedical Services. May drive blood collection vehicles to transport required supplies, equipment, blood products and staff to and from mobile sites. May load and unload trucks and other vehicles.Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures, Safety Quality Identity Potency Purity (SQUIPP), regulations outlined in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other applicable Federal, state and local regulations.
1. Comply with applicable Federal, State and local regulations as well as all American Red Cross policies, procedures and guidelines.
2. May perform any or all blood collection procedures (may include allogeneic, autologous, directed, therapeutic; automated red cell and platelet pheresis) donor collections. May perform all types of donor health history screening and eligibility procedures.
3. Conduct donor greeting, donor reaction care and processing and packing of blood as assigned.
4. Perform daily function checks, assemble and maintain supplies and equipment to ensure a state of readiness and to maintain compliance.
5. Function with team effort to ensure efficient donation process focused on donor and sponsor expectations. Maintain positive public relations to promote a professional image.
6. May operate ARC vehicle. May transport supplies and equipment in a state of readiness and to ensure compliance. May operate assigned vehicle according to applicable regulations. Collections Staff that is hired with DOT driving responsibilities will perform vehicle checks and complete DOT paperwork per established protocol.
7. Load, set up, maintain and tear down supplies and equipment in a state of readiness and to ensure compliance.
8. Complete required readings and training assignments by assigned deadline.
9. Perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Balance production, customer service and compliance on a day-to-day basis to ensure integrity of the product and optimum donor experience. As integral link between donors and ARCBS, portray a commitment to customer service by conveying and demonstrating a consistent style of professionalism.
May drive ARC vehicles throughout the blood region to collection sites, set-up and tear down and provide other related donor and operation support. Will have frequent external customer (donor and sponsor) contact.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
The duties above indicate the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Physical requirements may include the ability to lift, push or pull heavy weights up and down ramps and stairs, good manual dexterity, the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time and adapt to long, irregular hours and frequent schedule changes is required.
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an exposure determination 1 in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights