Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The Gift Planning Unit at the American Red Cross seeks to secure planned gifts supporting any component of the organization’s mission and to establish the Red Cross as the charity of choice for such gifts.
Reporting to the Director of Gift Planning, the Senior Gift Planning Officer (based in Los Angeles) develops, designs, and implements the planned giving program for the Los Angeles Region of the American Red Cross (with Community Chapters currently located throughout Los Angeles County including West Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Glendale and Northern Valleys, Pasadena and Long Beach), focusing on new gift commitments for the organization. This role includes identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding gift planning prospects and donors in the Region. The Senior Gift Planning Officer will be responsible for developing strategies to increase funding capacity and maximize donor relationships.
- Develops and manages the gift planning strategy for a portfolio of prospects throughout the Region to support Red Cross programs and services.
- Develop, lead, and implement strategies to substantially grow membership of the Legacy Society.
- Maintains and enhances a stewardship program for all planned giving donors. Raises and enhances the profile of the Legacy Society.
- Deliver training as appropriate on gift planning to advance knowledge and foster opportunities in gift conversations and strategy development.
- Remain current in gift planning trends and fundraising techniques by attending meetings and conferences and participating in training programs.
- Provides technical assistance to help the Los Angeles Region increase its fundraising capacity to solicit planned and current gifts.
- Cooperates with various local financial planning and estate planning associations to plan meetings that maximize the Red Cross position as the charity of choice for bequests, trusts, retirement funds, life insurance policies, and life income arrangements.
- Supports the reporting by the Region of all estate documents to the Office of General Counsel.
- Communicates with the Director of Gift Planning on a regular basis about donor and gift activity. Utilizes development prospect management system to facilitate regular reporting of donor and gift activity and to manage achievements of fundraising and personal goals.
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent years of experience is required and an advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum of seven years in major gift or gift planning fundraising with successful cultivating and soliciting experience is preferred. Experience promoting and managing such programs is highly desirable. Experienced candidates from the financial, estate and/or philanthropic planning, law, and trust administration fields are encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of the technical aspects of planned giving vehicles as well as an extensive knowledge of fundraising principles and techniques in a large organization is desired.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including presentation, negotiation, and strong interpersonal skills are required.
- Strong organization skills and good attention to detail are essential. Demonstrated tact and diplomacy in difficult or sensitive situations is essential.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office is necessary. Training in PG Calc or Crescendo planned giving software is desirable.
- Familiarity with the Los Angeles area is beneficial. Familiarity with Red Cross corporate culture is preferred.
- Operational flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable business needs and a moderate amount (10-25%) of business travel are required. Must have your own transportation.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights