Provides customer assistance at the highest level to transit patrons aboard vehicles and in and around transit facilities, and assists transportation personnel as required.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Maintains amiable relations with customers at all times. Interacts with and effectively assists customers in normal and emergency situations.
Knows and understands the Authority's transit system, fares, schedules, routes, transfer and connecting points and major points of interest in the Chicagoland area.
Provides special assistance to mobility limited patrons utilizing gap fillers and other aids as required to board and alight vehicles and ingress and egress facilities.
Maintains knowledge to assist with making minor operational adjustments to rail cars and assist the operator as needed.
Monitors and coordinates station cleanliness, defective revenue equipment or station repair needs in and around the faculties and either reconciles or reports conditions to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
Ensures the kiosk is adequately supplied with current editions of reports, forms, maps, brochures, schedules, etc. Notifies the Courier and manager if supplies are needed. Disposes of all outdated versions of these materials.
Contacts Communication/Power Control in a timely manner to report all accidents, suspicious activity, disturbances, threats, fire, unusual occurrences or other emergencies and provides all related pertinent information.
Inspects fare media, transit cards, passes and ID cards for validity and immediately reports invalid material to appropriate personnel.
Provides assistance in the evacuation of persons from CTA facilities and/or vehicles as necessary.
Routinely performs station inspections at the assigned station facilities to check cleanliness, equipment functionality and customer safety. May open and/or close stations as determined according to the shift assigned.
Performs daily inspections of station equipment and its proper operation, e.g. elevators/escalators, Customer Call Buttons, station PA system, LED signs, other ADA related equipment, etc.
Maintains a thorough knowledge and understanding of the fare structure, the operation and features of the Automated Fare Collection equipment, fare instruments and of all rules and procedures governing fare collection. Advises customers who experience failed fare transactions to the nearest CSR or to Customer Service and monitors station turnstiles and TCVM's for illegal activity.
Performs related duties as assigned.
*Required to submit to and pass drug and alcohol testing as mandated by the Federal Transportation Administration.
* Required to be at least 21 years of age.
* Required to maintain a neat and professional appearance, including wearing the CTA issued safety vest and other uniform compliances at all times while on duty.
* Must be able to lift at least 35 pounds
* Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
* Required to lift and deploy platform gap fillers (35 lbs.), carrying platform gap fillers, and pushing wheelchairs on platform and within rail cars.
* Required to climb stairs and balancing on board inspections; assistance of passengers.
* Required to stoop to maintain station appearance, picking up debris, kneeling and crouching to clear fare gate jams; from side of turnstile in 16' aisle.
* Required to reach and handle to maintain information boards and posting notices.
* Required to perform duties with noise and vibrations from moving trains.
* Required to speak and hear to provide information, greet customers, and listen for questions, comments, and special announcements.
* Required to see near for pass verification and far for observing elevators, escalators and platform for customer safety and color vision to distinguish transfer markings, passes, route maps, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
* Required to possess a suitable temperament and disposition necessary for establishing and maintaining amiable relations with customers at all times.
* Possess customer service experience or skills to provide outstanding customer service to customers.
* Required to possess the skills necessary to effectively assist customers in normal and emergency situations.
* Required to understand and follows oral and written instructions, accurately performs basic arithmetic operations, and be able to express one self's clearly both orally and in writing.
* Required to possess the skills necessary to prepare, write, and submit all pertinent reports concisely and accurately in a timely manner.
Location and City
This is a bargained for position and is not subject to CTA's residency ordinance.
CTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
IT IS THE POLICY OF THE CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY THAT NO EMPLOYEE OR APPLICANT FOR EMPLOYMENT WILL BE DISCRIMINATED AGAINST BECAUSE OF RACE, COLOR, CREED, RELIGION, SEX, MARITAL STATUS, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, ANCESTRY, AGE, UNFAVORABLE MILITARY DISCHARGE OR DISABILITY. CTA WILL MAKE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR THE KNOWN DISABILITIES OF OTHERWISE QUALIFIED APPLICANTS FOR EMPLOYMENT AS WELL AS ITS EMPLOYEES, UNLESS UNDUE HARDSHIP WOULD RESULT. IF YOU REQUIRE AN ACCOMMODATION IN THE APPLICATION OR HIRING PROCESS, PLEASE CONTACT ARC@TRANSITCHICAGO.COM PRIOR TO THE SUBMISSION OF YOUR APPLICATION OR UPON NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ACTUAL TEST DATE. CTA WILL WORK WITH YOU TO DETERMINE IF AN ACCOMMODATION CAN BE PROVIDED.