1. Develop or contribute to the development and implementation of annual operating budget to meet assigned collection and quality initiatives. Ensure resource capacity and efficient utilization of financial resources.
2. May develop, implement and monitor process improvement/quality improvement initiatives and staff training protocols to assure compliance with ARC directives, Federal, State and local regulatory requirements. Documentation of training and regulatory communications is accurate and timely.
3. Establish and oversee deployment of appropriate staffing levels to ensure the efficient and effective collection of blood and blood products to meet annual collection goals and regional patient need.
4. May assist with the evaluation and authorization of medical holds or deferrals and conducts follow-up investigations to manage suspect product or issues related to deviations from procedure.
5. Monitor, evaluate and correct donor flow and customer service problems in collaboration with Donor Recruitment, to enhance the donor experience and contribute to achievement of organizational goals.
6. Develop and supervise departmental supervisors and other collections staff in accordance with personnel policies and bargaining unit contracts, including performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, and hiring and firing decisions, to enhance success of operation and minimize turnover.
7. May manage the donor recruitment and or collection operations within the territory to ensure achievement of annual collection goals in the most cost efficient and effective manner possible.
8. May serve as project lead for regulatory procedure implementation and process improvement initiatives. Coordinate department training and or communication protocols, including in-services, regulatory requirements and new staff training. May lead projects for equipment planning, preventive maintenance and validation. May manage additional regional services such as production planning and volunteer support. May serve as eBDR administrator for the Region or Division.
9. Ensure effective internal and external communication between all department levels and functions to foster teamwork and enhance operational success.
10. Actively participate on cross-functional project teams and perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Bachelor's degree in nursing, management or equivalent combination of education and related experience required. Master's degree preferred. Minimum five years of related experience including three years management experience required. Excellent organizational skills, the ability to handle multiple priorities effectively, analyze problems and implement appropriate solutions, and assimilate information quickly. Ability to work independently while developing functioning teams among staff. Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills to deal with all levels of staff, hospital personnel, physicians, volunteers and donors. Proficient with Microsoft office applications.
Responsible for daily and strategic direction of assigned collection department functions and related process improvement initiatives. Supervisory responsibility for multiple staff levels including supervisors and professional, technical and line staff.
Accountable for development and expenditure of department operating budget and recommend capital expenditures as needed.
Operate under general guidelines from top management. Plan own work and set priorities for department. Actions and decisions based on very broad precedent, discretion and judgment.
The duties and responsibilities mentioned in the job description are representative of the essential functions of the position. The performance management system incorporates competencies which are identified, discussed and evaluated in order to meet operational milestones and which are tied to job families and titles. Three types of competencies have been identified; Technical Competencies are job specific skills and methods, Core Competencies are the abilities and behaviors expected of all Biomedical Services employees, Leadership Competencies are specific abilities and behaviors required of those performing formal management roles or other leadership roles (i.e. Project Leaders). Management and staff should contact Human Resources for further details on the appropriate competencies for a specific position.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
The duties above indicate the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. May be required to travel to sites throughout the region.
Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an exposure category 2 in view of the fact that the incumbent occasionally, on an unplanned basis, is required to work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components and/or human body fluids or tissue samples as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights