The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Grant Writing Specialist to work in our Rochester, NY location.
The Grant Writing Specialist is responsible for researching, writing, developing and implementing the strategy to increase revenue through workplace giving campaigns and grant proposals.
Specific job duties: Work with Executive Directors in the Region to write United Way applications; assist with gathering data, reporting, and attending panel reviews as needed; write content for foundation and other grants; conduct research on other grant opportunities.
1. Provides strategic vision, tools, resources and training to help Red Cross fundraisers create fundraising strategies.
2. Works closely with colleagues to ensure that the organization takes full advantage of programmatic funding opportunities.
3. Implements and creates best practices on workplace giving for United Way and other foundations.
4. Conducts in-depth analysis and exploration in order to advise others regarding which foundations, agencies or corporations would be suitable to approach for the organization’s funding needs. May be personally responsible for researching and writing grants.
5. Identifies, pursues, cultivates, and enhances relationships with foundations and government agencies in support of funding needs. Creates guidance, tools, and resources to assess relationships.
6. Negotiates contracts with foundations and corporations, seeking alternative sources of funding from community partnerships to increase revenue stream.
7. Provides guidance and leadership to streamline the grant process and increase support.
8. Provides guidance and leadership to Community Execs and Regional CEO in their foundation relationships as they transition to other funding models as desired.
9. Collaborates with the Regional CEO to develop and execute the strategy to build grantor relationships.
10. Provides coordination, logistic and relationship support as needed for the grantor’s annual giving campaigns, whether foundation or corporate workplace campaigns. This would entail handling meetings logistics, creating effective communication plans for special events, developing resources, training programs and group calls, ordering and coordinating production and tracking responses, etc.
Education: A Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Business, Organizational Development or a relevant field.
Experience: A minimum of five years experience working for a nonprofit organization or in public relations, marketing, sales, communication or project management. Corporate fundraising or workplace giving experience preferred. Experience working with community foundations and the United Way preferred.
Management Experience: 2-4 years of management experience preferred.
Skills and Abilities: Microsoft Office, Donor Management System (like Salesforce) is highly preferred.
Other: Excellent written and oral communication skills, Including strong presentation skills. Excellent planning and organizational skills, including attention to detail and data management. Strong customer service orientation is necessary. Demonstrated ability to work well within a team. Demonstrated initiative and ability to handle deadlines, pressure and changing priorities with good judgment. Operational flexibility to meet sudden and unpredictable business needs, willingness to work outside standard established business hours.
Travel: Limited, less than 20% of time.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights