The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Maintenance Worker to work in our New York, NY location. Must have valid Driver's License.
The Maintenance Worker cleans facilities and work areas including furnishings, bathrooms, fixtures, walls and floors to ensure they meet health and safety standards and present an attractive appearance. Uses maintenance supplies; removes waste material; maintains inventory of tools and supplies. May perform routine repair of equipment and facilities and load/unload deliveries.
Specific duties: Set up and tear down for classes, meetings & events; assist with office moves; light custodial work.
1. Cleans and sanitizes restrooms using established practices and procedures.
2. Cleans, dusts, and wipes furniture, sweeps, mops, or vacuums floors; empties/cleans wastebaskets and trash containers; empties and cleans ash trays and cigarettes urns; replaces light bulbs; refills restroom dispensers.
3. Assists with the setup of facilities for meeting, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
4. Uses and maintains assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, and scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers and other equipments for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
5. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross Staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
6. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
Education: High school diploma or equivalentPractical skills and knowledge of building maintenance and material management required. Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communications skills
Experience: Less than 1 year related experience required.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights