Organization and Role
Brighter Bites is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that brings healthy choices into the homes, minds, and mealtimes of families who live in underserved communities in Houston, Dallas, Austin, NYC, and DC. For 16 weeks during the school year and eight weeks during the summer, Brighter Bites provides: 1) 20-25 pounds (over 50 servings) of fresh fruits and vegetables to participating families each week, 2) nutrition education taught in the classroom through a train the trainer model, as well as handbooks, recipe cards and healthy tip sheets for parents, and 3) a fun food experience consisting of a healthy recipe tasting for families to try when they pick up their produce.
Since our inception in 2012, Brighter Bites has distributed more than 15,000,000 pounds of produce, in addition to nutrition education materials, to over 30,000 separate families whose kids attend 100 different schools, camps, and after school programs in our three Texas cities. Recently, we’ve expanded our reach to New York City and Washington, DC too.
The Brighter Bites Program Coordinator will organize activities of the Brighter Bites program in areas including but not limited to: community relations, program implementation and evaluation, Brighter Bites site operations, CATCH implementation, and volunteer recruitment and engagement. In addition to managing the sites they are assigned, coordinators may have a “focus area” in one of the three main pillars of Brighter Bites (food access, nutrition education, fun food experience):
- Coordinates and collaborates across departments, sites, and organizations regarding Brighter Bites activities and strategies.
- Assists with all aspects of Brighter Bites program implementation.
- Manages multiple sites for Brighter Bites program, including program schedules, location and distribution schedules, and budgetary implications.
- Works effectively with key contacts at sites as well as site volunteers.
- Tracks Brighter Bites program components by maintaining accurate data and reports for each site.
- Collaborates with Brighter Bites team on development, implementation, and management of program policies and procedures.
- Interacts with the public and/or external organizations to facilitate program dissemination.
- Informs management of key activities and makes periodic program evaluation and progress reports.
- Communicates with the larger community to share objectives and outcomes.
- Prepares and delivers oral presentations at professional meetings as assigned.
- Helps ensure Coordinated Approach to Child Health (CATCH) curriculum is implemented at assigned sites, teaching CATCH lessons as needed or assisting in the placement of interns to teach.
- Oversees work of external interns, volunteers, and/or Brighter Bites Associates at sites to ensure proper program implementation.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Advanced Spanish language skills required. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred.
- Passion for sharing the power of fresh food with others, especially children and families.
- Bachelor's degree in nutrition, public health, education or a related field.
- Basic culinary skills and strong interest in cooking.
- Previous experience working in a school as a teacher, social worker, administrator, etc, a plus
- Basic knowledge of nutrition education and agriculture.
- Previous experience working with children and parents, preferably in an educational setting.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and competent mathematical skills.
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in MS Office, especially Excel.
- Previous experience volunteering/interning with Brighter Bites, a plus.
Operational and Physical Requirements
- Must be able to travel independently to school sites around city area (w/ mileage reimbursed).
- Must be able to lift produce boxes/bags weighing between 10-50 pounds each on a continuous basis.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Program Coordinator” in the subject line.