Bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services. We are looking for a full time IRL Technical Trainer & Education Specialist to support our Norfolk, Richmond & Roanoke IRL’s. In this role you will be responsible for providing education to staff and external customers, monitoring/maintaining training and competencies in our learning management system & fill in performing reference lab patient testing. This is a salaried day shift position, preferably based in Richmond, VA.
1. Train IRL staff as assigned, providing both classroom instruction and on-the-job training.
2. Manage receipt, coordination, and presentation of IRL educational curricula.
3. May act as Point of Contact (POC) for nationally released documents.
4. As assigned, provide documented communications to IRL staff as required by transmittal sheets and implementation plans.
5. Assist education staff in development of IRL curricula and training document development when appropriate.
6. Guide staff through IRL educational videos, including but not limited to ARC produced technical modules.
7. Grade tests contained within training tools. Report trainee progress to IRL manager/supervisor.
8. As assigned, perform competency assessments (annual and as needed).
9. Prepare samples and practice exercises for MT/SBB students rotating through the IRL. Serve as POC for students while they are in the IRL.
10. Host teleconferences held at the region.
11. Assist IRL staff in preparing educational presentations for external customers and professional meetings.
12. Other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Good written and verbal skills including computer skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem solving skills. Provide training and guidance to technical staff. Leadership skills. May involve variable locations and some travel. On call responsibilities, as applicable.
MT (ASCP) and/or BB (ASCP) /equivalent and 3 years IRL experience or equivalent preferred. SBB preferred. State license may be required where applicable. Proven ability to present information verbally and visually to groups of various sizes. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able for frequent regional travel, potentially for extended periods of time; be computer literate; able to perform tasks using American Red Cross programs and possess ability to patient testing, customer service and compliance to ensure the integrity of American Red Cross products.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
The duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time. Exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level. This position is an Exposure Determination 1 in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks. Potential exists to also be exposed to hazardous chemicals.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights