* $5000 Hiring Bonus Available *
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We provide about 50% of the nation’s blood supply as well as humanitarian relief at home and abroad. We save lives every day. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
Come bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services. We are looking for a full time Medical Technologist supervisor in our W. Henrietta, NY office to work in our Immunohematology Reference Lab (IRL) performing specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients.
As a Blood Bank Supervisor you will be responsible for the daily operations in the reference laboratory; including supervising staff performing basic and advanced test procedures and interpreting complex test results to determine donor/recipient compatibility. As a NY State licensed Medical Technologist, you will also provide complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services and assure compliance with safety policies and procedures in the work area.
Other responsibilities include:
• Consulting and communicating with the staff of hospitals and transfusion facilities to resolve serological problems and supply antigen-negative or special units to transfusion recipients.
• Responsibility for the supervision of the laboratory staff including, but not limited to, hiring, training, coaching, evaluating and disciplining to ensure a well-qualified team and to enhance operational success. In conjunction with the Medical Director, provide guidance to ensure appropriate patient care.
• Assure quality and adequacy of testing, reference and consultation services are maintained.
• Perform, review and approve quality control on products, reagents, and equipment and validations. Assure required records and files are maintained.
• Know and oversee compliance of applicable American Red Cross Blood Services (ARCBS) directives, federal, state and local policies, procedures, laws and regulations pertaining to blood banking and safety. Adhere to quality assurance procedures and good manufacturing practices.
• May perform or assist in writing, organizing and maintaining departmental procedure manual. Perform duties associated with document development, implementation, and management.
• May manage budgetary information for the department and provide approval for reagent and supply purchases.
• Perform record review, training and competency assessments. Participate in concern and problem management. Provide internal and external education. Participate in external and internal inspections/audits and corrective actions.
Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science or related field. Six years of laboratory experience required. Three years of high complexity blood bank testing or SBB certification preferred. Effective communication/interpersonal skills and intermediate to advanced knowledge of Immunohematology required. NYS license or limited license for clinical laboratory technologist required.
** This is a sourcing requisition that is used to identify potential candidates for several similar positions currently vacant. If you are contacted by a member of the Talent Acquisition Team, you may be directed to apply to a specific, active job opportunity. The candidate profile you build for this requisition can be used to apply for other American Red Cross opportunities.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights