Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross is looking for a Sr Director of Data Science to provide strategic vision, expertise, education, and leadership in the development of data-driven solutions. This role will lead a team of data scientists (contractors, vendors, partners and cross functional resources) to leverage existing data to develop & execute predictive models and advanced analytics to help solve complex business problems. This person will also apply predictive analytics, machine learning, and optimization techniques to generate management insights and optimize business functions. Also this person will work closely with subject matter experts to understand the problems and lead data scientists to design solutions.
The Sr Director, Data Science will report to the Chief Innovation Officer. The individual in this role must be able to function effectively with a high degree of independence and minimal direct supervision.
***PLEASE NOTE: THIS POSITION CAN BE WORKED 100% REMOTELY FROM ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES***
- Sets goals, provides support and guidance to the team and business to produce output on a range of datasets and initiatives for an enterprise-wide audience
- Deliver quality analytic solutions, combining science with the software development process and challenging current data science trends with new ideas and alternative methods
- Design and implement data analysis, data mining, research, analysis, and modeling strategies and best practices
- Ownership of the development and delivery of data science solutions from concept to production
- Work with Business SMEs to create models which predict the outcome of key business processes
- Lead and contribute to data analysis and modeling projects from project or prototype design
- Gathering and analyzing data, identifying key prediction/classification problems, devising solutions and building prototypes.
- Follow industry trends in related data analytics processes and businesses.
- Lead the development of high-performance algorithms for predictive analytics. Testing and implementing these algorithms in scalable, product-ready code.
- Serve as the subject matter expert to articulate areas such as strategic, marketing and data analytics & statistics, data science, big data, normalization and modeling
- Establish and maintain relationships with organizational stakeholders to deliver insights and data visualizations within the business
- Utilize advanced statistical techniques to create high performing predictive models and creative analyses to address business objectives and client needs. Tests new statistical analysis methods, software and data sources for continual improvement of quantitative solutions.
- Follow and communicate the latest innovative technologies and approaches within the data science field
- The successful candidate will have a minimum of 7+ years of directly related experience
- Experience building advanced analytic models
- Experience using a programming language such as R, Python, SAS, or Java
- Proven track record of leading a team to find data solutions
- Ability to communicate ideas with both developers and executives
- Ability to maintain a balance of strategic vision and successful implementation
- Demonstrated capability to develop proof-of-concept prototypes for experimenting with novel algorithms
- Demonstrated experience and accomplishments in the use of data mining, machine learning, and predictive analytics to address real-life problems.
- Past experience in analyzing large scale data and distributed algorithms
- Excellent analytical, communication (both verbal and written), interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and clearly present technical approaches and findings.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Economics, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Computer Science, or related discipline. Masters or PhD Preferred or equivalent years of experience in lieu of degree.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential including sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights