We are looking for an experienced, CA licensed, Clinical Lab Scientist, to perform antibody identification and complex serology on patients' samples referred to our lab. This person will also perform donor antigen testing. The is a full time position and will rotate on-call duties once trained in the department.
This position will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Resolve compatibility problems; provide complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. Perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Perform advanced manufacturing and processing procedures, as applicable. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements. Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures, Clinical Laboratory Information Act (CLIA), and other applicable Federal, state and local regulations.
1. Manage receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples. Assist in daily workflow of patient and donor work. Documents supply and equipment problems.
2. Manage reagent inventory including ordering, receiving, inspecting and preparing reagents.
3. Perform and interpret basic and complex donor and/or patient testing procedures and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem. Assist Technologist I and II in problem resolution.
4. Consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
5. Perform labeling and verification of blood products.
6. Perform maintence, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
7. Perform duties associated with document development and management.
8. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records.
9. May perform manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
10. Perform duties associated with document management.
11. Adhere to procedures and good manufacturing practices (GMP).
12. Assume lead responsibilities such as record review and training. Assist in concern management.
13. Perform staff orientation and competency assessments, if applicable. Perform external customer education.
14. Perform other related duties as necessary.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified.
Scope: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Computer skills. Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem solving skills. Provide training and guidance to new technologist and technicians. Leadership skills. May involve variable locations and some travel. On call responsibilities, as applicable.
Qualifications: CA license CLS (ASCP), MT (ASCP) and/or BB (ASCP) /equivalent and 4 years IRL experience, or bachelors degree with major in biological science or chemistry plus 8 years blood banking experience. (ASCP) or equivalent preferred. SBB preferred. State license may be required where applicable.
Competencies: The duties and responsibilities mentioned in the job description are representative of the essential functions of the position. The performance management system incorporates competencies which are identified, discussed and evaluated in order to meet operational milestones and which are tied to job families and titles. Three types of competencies have been identified; Technical Competencies are job specific skills and methods, Core Competencies are the abilities and behaviors expected of all Biomedical Services employees, Leadership Competencies are specific abilities and behaviors required of those performing formal management roles or other leadership roles (i.e. Project Leaders). Management and staff should contact Human Resources for further details on the appropriate competencies for a specific position.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements: The duties are representative of the essential functions of the position. Operational flexibility is required to meet sudden and unpredictable needs. Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/ freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
Blood exposure levels are based on the essential functions as stated in this position description; however, in some instances, variances may occur due to the applicable nature of this position within a particular work site. Therefore the work site may determine the exposure level to be greater than or less than the below stated level.
This position is an exposure determination 1 in view of the fact that the position requires the incumbent work under conditions where the potential exists for the incumbent to make contact with blood or blood components as a result of splashes, spills, and/or needlesticks. Potential exists to also be exposed to hazardous chemicals.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights