As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity as a Regional Philanthropy Officer.
This mission-critical role serves as the key steward for a rich portfolio of current and prospective philanthropists in support of the American Red Cross. You will be expected to meet annual revenue targets by identifying, engaging, cultivating, and soliciting major gifts from regional donors, thereby advancing the organizational mission and creating meaningful impact in the lives of both donors and beneficiaries of that mission. Based in the Nashville area, you will cultivate Individual Major Gifts donors and prospects in the Tennessee Region, primarily Nashville and Chattanooga, working collaboratively with a team of fundraisers across the state. This position is responsible for managing a portfolio of individual donors including members of the Tiffany Circle, a society of women leaders and philanthropists who commit a minimum of $10,000 a year in support of Red Cross work. This position supports the efforts of the Nashville Area Tiffany Circle by working with lead volunteers to develop strategy, grow membership, and plan and execute special events – and will work on launching a new Tiffany Circle chapter in Chattanooga.
1. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: As a Regional Philanthropy Officer with a focus on Individuals, the fundraiser will manage an assigned portfolio of major gift donors and prospects across the state of Tennessee – primarily in Nashville and Chattanooga – with intent to form deep relationships. Responsible for minimum annual fundraising goal as specified in performance standards, including both renewable gifts and new incremental revenue. Develops donor management plans for entire portfolio resulting in strategic, knowledgeable and complex asks. Personally solicits assigned donor portfolio through face to face visits, including preparation of personalized materials. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters. Serve as mentor/informal leader to less experienced team members and operational resource in the areas of retention and strengthening donor relationships.
2. Relationship Development: Develops ongoing relationships with major donors for the benefits of the American Red Cross. Cultivates relationships with individual donors personally and by supporting volunteer leaders in peer-to-peer outreach, using giving societies such as the Tiffany Circle Society of Women Leaders as a key program. Works in partnership with Tiffany Circle volunteer leadership on strategy for retention and growth.
3. Strategy: Develops and executes ongoing strategy for qualifying donors to ensure retention, growth of donor contributions, as well as recapture from previous donors across the Tennessee Region. Works collaboratively with local fundraising team other departments and partners with development staff at the National Office to create customized solicitation strategies matching the objectives of the organization and interests of the donor/prospect.
4. Other: Participates in disaster relief fundraising projects as appropriate.
5. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
6. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced degree highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum five years sales and/or fundraising experience required. Proven experience in developing strategies for donor retention growth and recapture and proven success with complex requests is required.
Management Experience: None required.
Skills and Abilities: Ability to relate well and work effectively with multiple constituencies and audiences. Excellent verbal and written skills. Knowledge of office systems: MS-Office preferred and fundraising database systems (e.g., Raiser’s Edge, Salesforce.com). A team player committed to developing and working within a collaborative environment and to ensuring the highest customer service orientation.
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Region. The amount will vary depending upon size and geography of region.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights