Budget Analyst V
Military Occupation Specialty Code:
36B Financial Management Technician; 31 Financial Management; 32 Fiscal Operations
Number of Vacancies:
Chief Financial Office / Finance
$5258.67 - $6941.50 / monthly
Hours Worked Weekly:
300 W. 15th Street, Austin Tx 78701
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 475-4612 or (512) 463-5920
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE IN DEPTH INFORMATION IN THE EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS SECTION TO DEMONSTRATE HOW THEY MEET THE POSITION QUALIFICATIONS.
Applications are not accepted at the agency. Resumes are not accepted in lieu of the application. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification of applicant.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources serves a wide spectrum of customers by providing technology leadership, solutions, and value to State of Texas government agencies, higher education, and local government entities of all sizes to facilitate the fulfillment of their core missions.
The individual in this role will perform highly complex (senior-level) budget preparation and analysis work across multiple business lines for the agency’s Shared Services Financial Analysis Department. Work involves coordinating budgetary activities, reviewing and analyzing operating budgets, and providing technical advice and assistance on budgetary matters. Assists in development of vendor contract pricing models and financial statement of work requirements. Participates in vendor financial negotiations and monitors vendor contract financial compliance. Leads financial transition activities, including design and development of complex chargeback models. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
- Oversees the preparation of budgetary and management reports.
- Oversees the development and evaluation of performance and workload measures.
- Analyzes expenditure patterns and makes recommendations on the use of funds.
- Coordinates the preparation of budgets to provide management with expenditure data, trends, and recommendations.
- Develops and ensures compliance and coordination of budgeting procedures, preparation, and reporting.
- Establishes work methods and priorities, and determines methodologies and techniques for performing budget evaluations.
- Informs management of budget deviations, problems, and events likely to affect operations; explains causes; and measures effect on the agency’s mission and resources.
- Oversees the planning, organizing, coordinating, and evaluating of budgetary activities.
- Examines budget estimates for completeness, accuracy, and conformance with procedures and regulations.
- Assists in development of vendor pricing models, participates in vendor financial negotiations and monitors vendor financial compliance.
- Oversee financial transition activities, including the design and development of complex chargeback models.
- May plan, assign, and/or supervise the work of others.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business, public administration, or a related field.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in budget preparation and analysis and in performance measurement reporting work.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience developing vendor pricing models, participating in vendor financial negotiations and monitoring vendor financial compliance.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience participating in complex financial transitions involving chargebacks.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Knowledge of accounting, budgetary, and management principles, practices, and procedures.
- Knowledge of forecasting methodologies.
- Knowledge of automated accounting, budgeting, and forecasting programs; and of performance measurement and reporting.
- Knowledge of state procurement processes.
- Ability to analyze fiscal management information to determine appropriate use of funds.
- Ability to perform statistical analyses.
- Ability to identify and develop budgetary reports and schedules.
- Ability to analyze management problems and develop and present solutions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, and to supervise the work of others.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency. management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers.
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment.
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws.
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards.
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing
General-Other: Accounting-Finance, Financial Analysis-Research-Reporting, Financial Control