The Regional Chief Development Officer (RCDO) will be responsible for strengthening and growing the donor base and the development program to meet assigned financial goals for the Central Florida Region. Supporting the Regional Executive who is the chief fundraiser for the region they will drive a strong revenue-oriented culture based on market-driven targets. They will also lead a development team in planning, managing and implementing fund development strategies for the Region. In addition, they will maintain their own portfolio of assigned major donors and prospects and personally makes solicitations. This is a highly visible, externally facing role and will represent the Region in cultivating donors with the greatest capacity and will manage leadership volunteers. The RCDO will report jointly to the Regional Executive and Divisional Fundraising Vice President.
The region encompasses 19 counties and five chapters in the following locations: Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Daytona and Winter Haven. This position can sit in any of these locations.
We encourage candidates from outside the Central Florida area, that have the ability to relocate, to apply.
1. Strategy: Develops and executes annual and multi-year development strategies for the Region. Partners closely with the Regional Executive, DFVP and Board(s) in the Region to develop and execute the fundraising strategy in order to significantly grow annual revenues in the short term, while diversifying the funding base towards long term sustainability. Develops and implements a written plan for identifying, educating, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors across the Region. Leads focused growth in major gifts area; works directly with top major gift prospects in coordination with the Region’s Major Gift Officer(s). Oversees implementation of organizational campaigns in the Region, such as Holiday Campaign, Disaster Relief, and March is Red Cross Month. Acts as a senior leader in the Region and directs the Regional Development team with respect to strategic decisions for the organization; ensures that the Region meets all reporting requirements related to fundraising.
2. Fundraising Targets and Portfolio Management: Accountable for achieving or exceeding Region’s minimum fundraising target of $6m, and managing to meet the fundraising expense target. Revenue target may increase due to major domestic disasters. Maintains own portfolio of assigned major donors and prospects, responsible for personally making face-to-face donor solicitations and meeting national/regional fundraising metrics.
3. Prospect Development: Works with community Board members and other leadership volunteers to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward appropriate donors. Identifies potential planned giving prospects among assigned donors and partners with Region’s assigned Gift Planning Officer to solicit those prospects. Implements programs/activities to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward donors at the $2,500 level or higher, with an emphasis on maximizing revenue for the American Red Cross.
4. Relationship Development: At the direction of the Regional Executive, serves as primary staff liaison for representatives of largest corporations and foundations for solicitation, cultivation and stewardship purposes. Collaborates with national ARC headquarters development staff to identify and maximize fundraising opportunities. Serves as the primary staff liaison for the Board’s Philanthropy Committee. Orients new Board members to their fundraising responsibilities and ensures that they receive the support they need to be successful volunteer fundraisers.
5. Staff and Volunteer Management: Works with the Regional Executive, DFVP and DVP to determine reporting structure for the fundraising staff in the Region (including the Community chapter fundraising staff) based on the Regional structure, and ensures the use of best practices for measuring staff members’ performance. Responsible for staff development of Major Gifts Officers and Associates.
6. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the mission of the American Red Cross.
Travel: Requires frequent travel within the Region and occasional travel within the Division and to Washington, DC.
1. Customer Focus – is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
2. Interpersonal Savvy – relates well to all kinds of people – up, down and sideways; inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate support; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high tension situations comfortably.
3. Drive for Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently; one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
4. Strategic Agility – Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans. Accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into the process steps; develops schedules and task/people assignments; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks.
5. Building Effective Teams – Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team. Is a good judge of talent; after reasonable exposure, can articulate the strengths and limitations of people inside our outside the organization.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights