Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation has grown into America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, etc. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world. The organization's programs focus on conserving wildlife, restoring habitat and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
The National Wildlife Federation has recently revamped our flagship website, nwf.org, which receives over 20 million visits per year. To continue our path of delivering a high-quality online experience, we are seeking a creative and talented Web Graphic Designer to join our team to create eye catching digital content both for the nwf.org website and other digital properties that support the organization.
This assignment is expected to last one year (full benefits) with a focus on three enterprise assignments, with potential for permanency.
In this role you will:
- Create website designs from concept to completion and translate business and marketing objectives into designs that are clear, compelling, visually exciting, and emotionally engaging
- Design and code responsive HTML emails
- Work closely with site developers and content writers to coordinate formatting and delivery of page templates
- Familiarity with customizing Wordpress templates with CSS, set up Wordpress pages and templates, train others to use Wordpress.
- Act as the design lead to create a variety of design assets including: information graphics, email and website ads, PowerPoint presentations, promotional graphics for social media and layouts for reports
- Manage requirements, tasks, and deliverables with the Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence, etc.)
- Actively listen to clarify project goals, requirements, and deadlines
- Present and clearly articulate a case for your designs and ideas to the core team and stakeholders
- Seek and receive constructive feedback from the core team and stakeholders, and modify work to accomplish business goals
- Understand brand value and trust to produce designs that respect, reinforce, and amplify our mission
- Create an engaging online experience through design that adheres to brand guidelines
- Collaborate with the Project Manager, content writers, developers, and the marketing communications team, and receive feedback from internal stakeholders
- Report directly to the Project Manager
- Advanced experience working in Adobe CC (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Working knowledge of HTML5 and CSS
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Office software
- Experience designing responsive solutions for non-profit or commercial clients
- 5+ years of related professional experience and proven experience with a large-scale website and other digital products
- Comfortable and confident acting as design lead to deliver on project requirements
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Excellent problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated ability to handle large-scale projects with aggressive deadlines, and leadership skills required to reset functional, timeline, and cost expectations based on strategic scope changes
- Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team player who is curious and can quickly gain knowledge about all areas of the business
- Ability to work closely with individuals/clients to solicit needs and goals of a design effort and produce designs that meet or exceed those requirements
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Ability to work onsite at the Reston, VA Headquarters
- Flexibility, determination, and a sense of humor
The employee's actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
We aspire to be an inclusive multicultural organization that celebrates the rich dimensions of diversity such as race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical ability, and religious and political belief. Diversity at the National Wildlife Federation translates into understanding and valuing each other's perspectives.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we encourage you to submit an application. A background check will be conducted on the selected candidate.
Interested candidates should submit both a cover letter, resume, and examples of work