Position: Communications Director
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: Director
A new project of the New Venture Fund working toward accountability and transparency in government to root out corruption and malfeasance seeks a Communications Director to help develop, coordinate and communicate its message to the news media, the public, and partner organizations.
The Communications Director will be a part of the senior leadership and will be responsible for rapid response, media relations and more. The position requires excellent written and verbal communication skills, the ability to think strategically about communications and research, incredible attention to detail, and strong multi-tasking and organizational skills. A flexible personality, sense of humor, and positive attitude are also essential.
This position is based in Washington, DC. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
- Manage day-to-day external communications activities, and the internal processes related to those activities.
- Develop and execute communications plans, integrating earned, paid, and new media, to advance organization’s goals.
- Work in partnership with organization’s leadership and consultants on development of paid media efforts and on project polling and messaging.
- Draft press materials, including talking points, press advisories and releases, op-eds, and memos in support of communications plans and goals.
- Build relationships with print, broadcast, and new media reporters, editors, and producers.
- Serve as a spokesperson with partner organizations, key stakeholders, and the media, as needed.
- Manage communications staff and delegate responsibilities accordingly.
- Monitor risks and opportunities to advance the organization’s position and brand.
- Produce detailed reports of communications and other campaign activities and successes.
- Remain flexible and perform additional duties, as required.
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- Minimum experience of 4-6 years in communications, public relations, or advocacy; issue advocacy, political campaign, and strategic experience preferred;
- Experience landing high-profile media placements and working with reporters, editors, editorial boards, columnists, bloggers, bookers, and thought leaders;
- Exceptional writing skills for both press and general audiences; writing should be sharp, personable, and memorable; ability to write in the voice of others;
- Familiarity and aptitude with using social media as an earned media tool;
- Experience framing research products into communications products; demonstrated ability to identify communications needs based on research and to work with research and campaign teams to achieve objectives;
- Smart political judgment and ability to anticipate how others will respond to our work;
- Calm in a crisis, and with great instincts;
- Expertise in working independently and juggling competing priorities with strict deadlines;
- Proven track record for being a self-starter;
- Experience managing a team and effectively delegating responsibilities;
- Excellent project management skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Flexible personality;
- Commitment to social justice.
How to Apply
Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Director Applicant” in the subject line.
New Venture Fund Careers
The New Venture Fund (NVF) is a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.