Title: Legislative Representative
Reports to: Conservation Program Director
Positions Reporting to this Position: None
The League of Conservation Voters (LCV) works to turn environmental values into national, state and local priorities. LCV, in collaboration with our state LCV partners, advocates for sound environmental laws and policies, holds elected officials accountable for their votes and actions, and elects pro-environment candidates who will champion our priority issues.
LCV’s work to protect and advocate for the environment is rooted in our commitment to racial, social and environmental justice. Communities of color are disproportionately impacted by climate change and pollution. For this reason, racial justice and equity are inextricably linked to protecting our environment. Within the organization, we are actively building a workplace culture that demonstrates how we value equity and inclusion through more intentional and inclusive practices. We are committed to building an organization that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
LCV is hiring a Legislative Representative to help lead our lobbying and other advocacy work around federal conservation policy, including land, water and endangered species protections. We are seeking a dynamic addition to our team to help promote our proactive legislative agenda and defend against executive branch and congressional attacks on core environmental protections and attempts to reverse progress on conservation and other environmental issues.
- Work closely with the Conservation Program Director to craft and implement LCV’s work on federal conservation policy, including land conservation, oceans, and endangered species.
- Directly lobby members of Congress and their staff on conservation policy and other priority issues.
- Ensure that all of our conservation policy work is advancing racial justice and equity, including through partnerships and coalitions and engagement with leaders of color in Congress.
- Collaborate with LCV’s Policy and Lobbying team, outside coalitions, and our state league partners, as appropriate, to advance our policy goals.
- Research, track and analyze environmental legislation and executive branch actions.
- Assist in the production of LCV’s nationally-recognized National Environmental Scorecard.
- Ensure the accuracy of LCV’s public materials; work with the Membership and Online Engagement, Communications, Field, and Chispa teams to advance our policy priorities.
- Partner with the Conservation Voter Movement, a network of over 30 state leagues, on various projects and provide timely updates on federal legislation.
- Assist with LCV’s electoral work, including work with candidates, PAC investments and the Congressional Candidate Questionnaire.
- Collaborate with the Development department and other staff to craft materials that will help raise resources for our conservation policy work.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work Experience: Must have at least 3-5 years of work experience, with one year experience working on Capitol Hill, in the executive branch, or at an advocacy or political organization.
- Skills: Policy analysis and research, coalition-building, excellent written and oral communication skills, including delivering public presentations. Organized and attentive to details; commitment to teamwork and community; ability to handle multiple tasks, effectively prioritize and thrive in a fast-paced setting. Strong interpersonal and communications skills with an ability to develop relationships with individuals representing a rich mix of race, gender, talent, experience, and background. Demonstrated ability to apply a racial justice lens to policy analysis. Demonstrates initiative and ability to seize strategic opportunities preferred.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Commitment to environmental protection and mission of LCV.
- Conditions: Able to work long hours to get the job done. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Legislative Representative” in the subject line no later than May 28, 2019. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.