The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
We are currently seeking a Caseworker to work in our Melrose, MA location supporting the Ames Relief Fund. The position is part-time at 20 hours per week.
The Caseworker coordinates the overall interdisciplinary client care plan, from assessment to case closure. Provides crisis intervention and assists families in understanding implications and complexities of their situation. Determines, implements and facilitates coordination of emergency services and assistance. Acts as a liaison between client/family, Red Cross and community resources to ensure necessary assistance is provided promptly and effectively.
Specific job duties:
The Caseworker will support the Ames Relief Fund - an endowed fund that works closely with private and public agencies to support the Red Cross mission in Melrose. The Caseworker will work with the community advisory board to provide funds to Melrose residents for fuel assistance, summer camp, and other needs, reviewing and processing assistance applications.
1. Interviews client and family, coordinates and plans services to meet immediate and ongoing needs. Determines appropriate services, assistance within activity protocols to meet service member and/or family circumstances and provide accurate and appropriate casework documentation.
2. Identifies and addresses psychosocial needs of client and family members; assistance with coping skills, stress management and anticipatory grief and grief reaction. Provides crisis intervention service to help clients minimize impact of emergency-caused displacements, disruptions, losses and/or stresses.
3. Provides ongoing support for client and family; monitor and document status. Delivers case management services to clients in the Chapter’s jurisdiction and provides assistance, when requested, in obtaining verifications, delivering messages and for any other actions that support timely, effective client services.
4. Identifies and assists client and family in casework process for services through the Red Cross and/or other agencies/organizations. Advocates on behalf of clients to address landlord issues, medical benefits, mental health concerns, court issues and helps obtain all additional resources to meet client’s needs. Determines if clients may be eligible for alternative housing subsidies and assists with application process as needed.
5. Maintains accurate client/family service statistics and generate reports in accordance with Chapter and National Headquarters standards.
6. Identifies, develops and maintains key relationships with external partners to promote Red Cross services and programs. Develops and maintains liaisons with business, community, religious, military and social service entities, etc.
7. Serves as technical subject matter expert (SME) to internal and external constituents.
8. May lead volunteers, coach interns and assign casework assignments.
9. Recruits, trains and works with volunteers and treats all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone.
10. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
Education: Bachelor degree in Sociology, Social Work, Psychology or related field or combination of education and experience which would provide an equivalent background.
Experience: Minimum 3 years of casework experience in social service or related environment.
Skills and Abilities: Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work independently, handle and prioritize multiple tasks. Ability to assess client needs and provide services equitably and consistently. Identifies and resolves problems and/or develops alternative solutions. Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
Other: Intermediate level proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights