Salary DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits.
James City County Social Services Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work reviewing and evaluating information gathered from applicants to determine eligibility for public assistance programs and services within established policies, procedures and guidelines.
There are two levels of Benefit Program Specialist distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
- Determines and re-determines eligibility of individuals and families for one or more federal, state and local financial assistance programs including: Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); Medicaid for families, children, the elderly and disabled, and nursing home/community based care; Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF); Auxiliary Grants (AG); General Relief (GR) for unattached children; and Energy Assistance; interprets and explains policies pertaining to financial assistance programs.
- Identifies and assesses customer needs to make proper referrals to various Social Services programs, such as Fraud, Children’s Services, Adult Services and Housing, as well as other community organizations, mental health, Social Security and other organizations.
- Tracks and complies with state mandates for timeliness and accuracy compliance for all financial assistance programs; conducts detailed interviews on the telephone or in person to gather required information and troubleshoot discrepancies.
- Gathers and analyzes verification documents received for authenticity, validity and accuracy; secures and safeguards confidential information from applicants, recipients and federal reports.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in human services or related field; some human service related experience, preferably involving interviewing customers.
- Must possess, or obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; knowledge of basic mathematical calculations.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite; State Department of Social Services computer systems; and oral and written communication.
- Ability to work independently; effectively manage multiple responsibilities; meet deadlines; exercise independent judgment and initiative; and pay attention to detail in accordance with established policies and procedures; the ability to perform basic mathematical calculations to determine income.
Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST on 9/14/2019 or when filled, whichever comes first. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov