Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) has grown into America’s largest conservation organization with 51 state/territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters nationwide. The mission of the National Wildlife Federation is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world, and the Federation is committed to inspiring all people around our shared love of nature and wildlife by creating a welcoming and inclusive community representative of all Americans. To support our mission we are seeking a .NET Developer to join our Strategic Business Operations team in Reston, VA.
In this role you will work on the National Wildlife Federation’s conservation program applications, flagship enterprise (CMS) website, and new, mission-driven innovation products and services. You must have a strong understanding of architectural principles for scalable, service-oriented applications. You should possess an ability to work iteratively and collaboratively with UX and graphical design leads to articulate the impact of design options on development considerations.
This is an ideal opportunity for someone seeking a long-term relationship with a nonprofit organization and a position that offers and requires creative flexibility and co-ownership of the entire product lifecycle.
- Technical leadership across the following aspects of application development: architecture, performance analytics and metrics, reusability, scalability, security, testing maintenance break/fixes
- Become knowledgeable about our mission and the unique attributes and metrical goals of internal partners with whom projects would be undertaken.
- Gather requirements for projects and manage an archive of the requirements journey, including scope change decisions and rationale.
- Determine communications required for projects, including weekly core team meetings, daily stand-ups as needed, and formal reports for project teams.
- Create database schemas and data flow diagrams, develop and maintain technical and user documentation manuals for each product.
- Create integrations with data storage solutions i.e. Microsoft SQL server and external/3rd party data sources such as vendor API’s and/or web services.
- Provide accurate development estimates and meet development deadlines.
- Document requirements and produce technical documentation for solutions built.
- Be available after hours when the infrequent need for enterprise troubleshooting arises.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in software architecture for and hands-on development with .NET and related web development technologies
- Ability to work with technical upline reporting to keep or bring projects back on track, which can include advising on and making best value trade-offs
- Ability to discern if and when knowledge is lacking, and to in those instances utilize resources to learn and develop capabilities as required
- Experience with the following:
- Constructing and building consumable APIs, RESTful interface, and/or web services
- C#, ASP.NET and MVC frameworks — Identity Management, .NET MVC architecture, SQL Server (2014+) processing, and third-party .NET library integrations
- Version control experience, Team Foundation Server preferred
- Application Lifecycle Management software a plus, Atlassian JIRA/Confluence for ticket tracking is preferred
- Configuring IIS for .NET web application deployments, configuring and automating MS Build scripts and their dependencies, including test automation
- Waterfall and agile project teams
- Excellent troubleshooting and analytical skills
- Experience working in a team environment, including articulating the case for chosen approach or solutions, and working with an infrastructure team to troubleshoot issues and participate in formal escalation path activities
- Able to work independently and prioritize deliverables that serve the critical path and maximize time utilization
- Comfortable with and interested in rapidly learning new systems, software, and technologies
- BS in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or related field from an accredited college
- Good understanding of modern UX techniques, preference for experience working alongside a UX designer
- Knowledge of constituent data and customer relationship management systems is a plus
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus.
The National Wildlife Federation offers excellent benefits, including 16 weeks of paid FMLA leave, competitive compensation, and a family-friendly, flexible work environment.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of people and wildlife in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train, compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/DEIJ.
If you have a disability and require an accommodation or assistance with our online application process, please tell us how we can help by calling us at 703-438-6244.
If you meet more than 75% of the qualifications of this description, we support your application. If selected, a background check will be conducted.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume.