Fall 2020 Legal Fellowship Sponsorship – Disability Rights Program, San Francisco, CA
Title: Fall 2020 Legal Fellowship Sponsorship
Office: National Offices
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posted: June 27 2019
Apply for this job
ABOUT THE JOB
The Disability Rights Program of the National office in San Francisco, CA seeks applicants to consider for a sponsored fellowship such as Skadden, Equal Justice Works, or other public interest fellowships to begin in the fall of 2020.
Some examples of past and future proposals include:
- Address the overuse and abuse of guardianship and promote alternatives to guardianship, such as Supported Decision-Making.
- Combat the school to prison pipeline of students with disabilities, especially students of color with disabilities, by removing police from elementary schools. Potential Future Projects:
- Promote alternatives to Police in responding to people in crisis,
- Combat the rise in coercive mental health and addiction treatment.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, but priority consideration will be given to those who submit applications by July 15, 2019.
- Conduct legal research and analysis and develop theories to support new litigation projects.
- Draft legal memoranda, pleadings, affidavits, motions, and briefs.
- Interview witnesses and potential clients.
- Participate in discovery and trial practice.
- Draft and edit public education and non-litigation advocacy materials.
- Provide support and assistance to ACLU affiliates and cooperating attorneys.
- Help manage summer legal internship program and supervise student interns.
- Engage in public speaking and attend meetings and/or conferences as needed.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- D. or expected to receive a J.D by the spring of 2020.
- Demonstrated commitment to public interest law, civil liberties, and disability rights.
- Willingness to work closely with the Disability Rights Program through the funding application process.
- Excellent research, writing, and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct complex legal analysis and fact-finding.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work independently as well as within a team.
- Self-motivated with the ability to take initiative, manage a variety of tasks and see projects through to completion.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
- Direct experience with disability, the disability community, and disability rights
- Background in policing issues
- Background with and/or connections to communities of color
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.