Business and Operations Efficiencies Manager (ASD-23) – Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives, NY
Title: Business and Operations Efficiencies Manager
Office: National Offices
Location: New York, NY
Posted: June 28 2019
Apply for this job
ABOUT THE JOB
The Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives (ASNI) of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY seeks applications for the full-time position of Business and Operations Efficiencies Manager.
The Affiliate Support and Nationwide Initiatives (ASNI) department builds state capacity and strengthens and maintains the connections between the ACLU and its network of 54 affiliates and the 1500 staff. Their work constitutes an unparalleled bulwark in the defending and advancing of civil liberties and civil rights. Department staff lead efforts to share knowledge, talent, and skill across the organization, building the next generation of civil rights leaders and positioning the organization for future challenges.
In this role, you will oversee efforts to increase efficiency, effectiveness, and the cost of business and operational tools and technology products used by the ACLU’s 54 affiliates. The Operational Efficiency Manager is a highly collaborative leader and strategic thinker who possesses the ability to understand business and operational needs and trends in affiliates and able to manage projects across business lines with a focus on meeting project deliverables and deadlines. Areas of need include leveraging products and platforms used by national to the benefit of affiliates, representing affiliate interests as new products are designed, identifying gaps in needs, and acquiring technologies and products that can be used equally well by the smallest to the largest affiliates. The OEM will work closely with colleagues in Products and Technology, IT, Analytics, and Finance and Administration at the National office. This position reports to the Director of ASNI Operations.
- Enhance affiliate operations and drive organization-wide efficiencies by scoping, directing, and managing a portfolio of business and technology operations, efficiency and process improvements
- Identify affiliate needs by performing trend and gap analyses in consultation with affiliate staff and leaders
- Identify root causes of operational challenges by collecting data and devising recommendations for short term process fixes and workarounds while long-term initiatives are developed
- Inform decision-making around product and technology acquisition and development; act as a liaison to national staff to facilitate decisions that consider affiliate needs
- Facilitate and negotiate cost-sharing opportunities among affiliates and with national
- Develop a deep knowledge of the systems, processes, technologies, and priorities at the ACLU National office
- Propose business operations re-engineering projects across multiple affiliates and areas of work; draft project proposals that communicate the rationale, ROI and implementation strategies for new initiatives
- Advocate on behalf of affiliates needs when product and technology acquisition or updates are in process; help ensure that potential pain points are minimized
- Develop thorough and detailed project plans, milestones and responsibility charts; facilitate implementation across affiliates with varying levels of resources and capacity
- Facilitate learning communities and working groups between affiliate and National staff to enhance alignment in areas such as technology acquisition, information security, shared databases, HR processes & systems, and benefits packages
- Design, source, launch and manage a database of recommended vendors that is crowd-sourced from National and affiliates’ expertise and experience with high-quality vendors
- Successfully navigate competing priorities to ensure timely completion of deliverables
- Coordinate the training of affiliate staff to new systems, processes and resources
- Evaluate and report out on the impact of efficiency projects after they have been implemented
- Approach this work in a highly collaborative and inclusive manner to ensure all voices are heard and all perspectives taken into account
- Collaborate with national staff to develop solutions to address any problems that arise in the states as the result of national activity
- Develop and execute a compelling vision and strategy to build & increase buy-in and leadership support for operational activities that can be leveraged to benefit the nationwide organization
- Be an ambassador for the Department with National staff to build a greater understanding of the role of the department and importance of affiliate work
- Demonstrating a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance
- Committing to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- 5+ years of experience working on developing operational efficiencies, business process improvements and/or operational re-engineering
- Bachelor’s degree
- Strong business acumen, with the ability to build a compelling case for change and sustainable results delivery
- Experience working on problems of diverse scope, leveraging qualitative and quantitative data to evaluate impact
- Highly developed written and oral communication skills, including the ability to create data visualizations that inform and inspire stakeholders
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with an ability to build relationships, influence and collaborate at all levels and across functions
- Strong project management, organizational and planning skills with track record of delivering on commitments
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and ambiguous environment
- Strong strategic thinking combined with a results-driven, practical mind set
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as lead people/teams in a complex federated organization
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Project management experience / certification (PMP, PMI or similar)
- Business process improvement certification (Six Sigma / Lean Six Sigma or similar)
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.