Graphic Design Associate (DIG-31), NY
Title: Graphic Design Associate
Office: National Offices
Location: New York, NY
Posted: Jul 2 2019
Apply for this job
ABOUT THE JOB
The Digital Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York seeks applications for the full-time position of Graphic Design Associate.
In this role, you will report directly to the Creative Director. The Associate Graphic Designer produces high-quality graphics for print materials, social media, other digital distribution channels, and the ACLU website. In addition to producing high-quality graphics, the Associate Graphic Designer is responsible for ongoing creation of graphic assets, photo editing, and graphic production assistance for larger scale projects. They are experienced in creating designs in adherence to visual branding identity guidelines and continuing to innovate and push the design experience at the ACLU.
- Develop familiarity with the ACLU brand.
- Design and produce graphics for use on ACLU websites, social media channels and emails in keeping with graphic design standards, project objectives, and branding guidelines.
- Create reusable graphics templates; modify and resize existing graphics for various platforms and uses; format materials based on specifications.
- Assist with layout of online and print publications, including reports, white papers, and pamphlets; create data visualization graphics for reports, such as tables, charts, etc.
- Create promotional materials for online and print ads and ACLU-branded merchandise.
- Produce layouts and designs for website special features.
- Create and produce other graphics as needed, including presentations, internal communications templates, text cards for videos, info-graphics, and more.
- Assist with retouching documentary, portrait, and marketing photographs.
- Work with vendors and consultants such as designers, copyeditors, and printers.
- Assist with managing digital asset libraries.
- Perform photo research from archives, publicly available image libraries, and stock agencies; recommend and purchase stock images as needed; track image rights usage.
- Collaborate with staff across the ACLU on graphic design needs.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience in graphic design and digital media.
- Proficient in Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
- Professional experience creating graphics for digital and print media.
- Experience with publication design and layout for digital and print is desired.
- Basic HTML experience preferred.
- Some experience with merchandise design or marketing collateral such as t-shirts, postcards, brochures, digital banners, and ads is preferred.
- Understanding of trends and best practices for using graphics to communicate effectively via digital channels.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills; ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to deliver work product under deadlines, and commitment to high quality standards.
- Passion for graphic design, color management, and typography.
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.