Senior Accountant (ADMU-38) – Finance Department, NY
Title: Senior Accountant
Office: National Offices
Location: New York, NY
Posted: Jul 3 2019
Apply for this job
ABOUT THE JOB
The Finance Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY seeks applications for the full-time position of Senior Accountant.
In this role, you will be responsible for the implementation and maintenance of sound fiscal procedures and practices essential to the smooth operation of the organization. The position requires excellent financial management, organizational and administrative skills, as well as superb attention to detail and deadlines. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively while managing, tracking and prioritizing tasks.
- Prepare monthly income and expenditure statements and schedules: inter-company, inter-fund, prepaid, accrued, receivables, payables, affiliate loans, and payroll accounts
- Analyze budget to actual variance reports monthly; research and make adjustments when necessary
- Analyze, review, reconcile, and adjust general ledger accounts
- Prepare and calculate sales and use tax for various states on monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Assist the department with preparation, gather documents, and review of year-end audit schedules
- Prepare reports for departments; respond to departmental inquiries and resolve discrepancies
- Prepare affiliate revenue payment schedules and reconciliation; respond to affiliate inquiries regarding payments and deductions
- Responsible for accrual, prepaid, and capitalization recognition, ensuring they are properly recorded and posted in accordance with GAAP
- Assist with general ledger maintenance including building reports and setting up new case codes
- Analysis fixed assets with other departments to ensure the ending balance is correct
- Review fund balances and activities during the fiscal year
- Update balance sheet accounts to ensure the balance is correct or make adjusting entries when needed
- Prepare various schedules and spreadsheets as requested by the department heads; follow up on issues and resolve discrepancies as necessary
- Review and edit accounting entries before posting
- Create credit memos to adjust accounts payable and accounts receivable subsidiary accounts to apply deductions, interest, and loan payments
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, and record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- At least 10 years' accounting experience, ideally in non-for-profit organizations
- Strong organizational skills, excellent attention to detail and ability to multitask
- Demonstrated ability to work well with colleagues and with staff at all levels within the organization
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and financial management platforms/software
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, and while working under pressure to meet deadlines
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
- Experience managing large, complex projects with excellence
- Experience managing large teams
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.