Communications Strategist (COMM-XX) – Communications Department, NY
Title: Communications Strategist
Office: National Offices
Location: New York, NY
Apply for this job
ABOUT THE JOB
The Communications Department of the ACLU’s National office in New York, NY seeks applications for the full-time position of Communications Strategist.
Reporting to the Director of Strategic Communications, the Communications Strategist will play a critical role in developing and executing communications strategies that advance the ACLU’s work on civil liberties and civil rights. The role will work to develop, implement and execute communications strategies on a range of issues, through collaboration with communications colleagues, digital team members, organizers, lawyers, lobbyists, state advocates, vendors, and partner organizations. The position will also engage target audiences about ACLU litigation and advocacy; create content for publications and the website; and, plan events such as mobilization activations, and media briefing calls and events.
- Lead the development of multi-faceted communications strategies for the ACLU.
- Develop multi-faceted communications plans, which include goals, target audiences, messaging, as well as media relations, digital, advocacy and social media strategies, to educate, motivate, and influence target audiences.
- Help develop and implement organizational communications strategies to further the ACLU brand as needed.
- Increase news coverage of ACLU and its messages by cultivating and maintaining relationships with key reporters, editors, producers and bookers.
- Identify needs for digital content, including videos and graphics, and written materials for ACLU’s work, and work with the cross-organizational digital team and relevant working groups to have them produced in line with agreed strategies.
- Identify and lead rapid response to breaking news events, often requiring sensitive judgment calls in emerging civil liberty crises.
- Create and/or produce communications content, including talking points, news releases, pitches, op-eds, letters to the editor, blog posts, backgrounders, social media content, comics, videos, infographics, interactive web features, and social media content.
- Develop and pitch feature stories.
- Develop and update issue talking points for ACLU and affiliate staff in preparation for responding to addressing sensitive and/or controversial issues.
- Strategize to determine the most effective spokespeople for disseminating the ACLU messages and brand on key issues.
- Prepare clients, organizers, litigators, state advocates, and other spokespeople for media appearances.
- Collaborate with colleague organizations on coalition and movement-wide communications activities, and maintain relationships with communications staff in other organizations.
- Work in collaboration with the advocacy and legal teams to develop communications strategies and tactics for federal and state legislative and advocacy initiatives and litigation.
- Work collaboratively with affiliate communications staff to elevate state level work nationally.
- Provide guidance to affiliates in the development of communications materials and strategy, when necessary.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office; using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ability and socio-economic circumstance, record of arrest or conviction.
- Commitment to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts.
- Strong organizational skills, detail-oriented and the ability to follow projects through to completion.
- Ability to communicate persuasively and professionally, in writing through op-eds and blog posts, and to communicate verbally to a wide variety of media, political, stakeholder, and influencer audiences.
- Experience working with the media and cultivating relationships with print, radio, television and online journalists.
- Proven experience in exercising judgment in breaking news and rapid response environments.
- Experience in online media production, especially video and graphics.
- Experience crafting social media messages, and promoting issues through social media.
- Experience with online news, social media and digital advocacy tactics.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with others including cross departmentally as part of a team.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Associated Press style required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or a related field.
- Familiarity with Cision public relations software.
- Experience understanding trends and best practices for online campaigning, and best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter.
ABOUT THE ACLU
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it’s ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.
The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.
The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mail email@example.com. If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
The ACLU offers a generous and comprehensive compensation and benefits package, commensurate with experience and within parameters of the ACLU compensation scale.