Military Occupation Specialty Code:
Navy-002712,25B; Coast Guard-030; Marines-0681; Air Force-14F1
Number of Vacancies:
Information Technology Services
Hours Worked Weekly:
Refer Inquiries to:
(512) 463-5920 or (512) 475-4612
HOW TO APPLY:
- Select “Apply Online” to apply for the job at https://capps.taleo.net/careersection/ex/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en
- You must create a CAPPS Career Section candidate profile or be logged in to apply
- Update your profile and apply for the job by navigating through the pages and steps
- Once ready, select “Submit” on the “Review and Submit” page.
Applicants must provide in depth information in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section to demonstrate how they meet the position qualifications. Incomplete applications may result in disqualification.
Resumes may be uploaded as an attachment but are not accepted in lieu of the information required in the EXPERIENCE & CREDENTIALS section of the application.
Candidates will be notified for appointments as determined by the selection committee.
Section 651.005 of the Government Code requires males, ages 18 through 25 years, to provide proof of their Selective Service registration or proof of their exemption from the requirement as a condition of state employment.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Department of Information Resources does not exclude anyone from consideration for recruitment, selection, appointment, training, promotion, retention, or any other personnel action, or deny any benefits or participation in programs or activities, which it sponsors on the grounds of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability. Please call 512-463-5920 to request reasonable accommodations.
The Texas Department of Information Resources serves a wide spectrum of customers by providing technology leadership, solutions, and value to State of Texas government agencies, higher education, and local government entities of all sizes to facilitate the fulfillment of their core missions. DIR is a fast-paced and collaborative environment with highly motivated and engaged employees dedicated to achieving the best value for the state.
This role will perform highly advanced (senior level) managerial work providing direction and guidance in strategic operations and planning of the Information Technology Services Division, including staff performing application development, maintenance and operations. Work involves developing policies; reviewing guidelines, procedures, rules and regulations; establishing priorities and standards; implementing tools to meet agency and division goals; coordinating and evaluating staff and program activities; and working within existing budgets. Plans, assigns and/or supervises the work of others. Collaborates with the Information Resource Manager. Works under minimal supervision, with extensive latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
WHAT WE DO
The ideal candidate will have the ability to highlight their strengths in the following functions:
- Act as senior official reporting to the Deputy Executive Director or equivalent.
- Oversees the implementation and operation of data center and desktop technology, quality measures, and applications in use by the agency.
- Supervise the support programs for DIR applications; identifies the need for new programs; provides direction, guidance, and hands-on assistance as needed; plans, assigns and/or supervises the work of others; Works collaboratively with the Information Resources Manager and oversees and manages multiple projects concurrently and works under strict deadlines.
- Operates within guidelines, procedures, rules and regulations; Provides research and modeling as needed to support strategic and tactical activities; proposes budgets and executes support within approved budgets.
- Provides services to all business areas of DIR, including business areas such as Texas.gov, DCS, Security and TEX-AN, which provide services to other state and local entities. Services include computing resources, network infrastructures software maintenance and development, client services support, web services and application development.
- Support and work with the Information Resource Manager in developing and implementing technology strategy for the agency.
Performs related work as assigned
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in information technology, management information systems, business or public administration, or a related degree
- Additional work-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis. Highschool diploma required.
EXPERIENCE & TRAINING REQUIRED
- Ten (10) years of application development and support experience
- Two (2) years of leadership experience of a technology department or group at the level of Assistant Director or above
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING PREFERRED
- Experience and training in analyzing, recommending, developing and implementing cogent enterprise solutions, policies, standards and guidelines
- Experience with private sector IT operations in an organization or company that specializes in information or communications technology
- Experience working with local, state and/or federal agencies
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Strong working knowledge of hardware/software system functions
- Strong analytical skills
- Skill in finding solutions for or to deal proactively with work-related problems; including personnel related issues
- Ability to produce a high degree of accuracy in work
- Ability to exercise courtesy, tact and diplomacy in all communications
- Ability to effectively communicate technical and other information both orally and in writing; in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to effectively interpret policies, procedures and regulations; ability to implement new systems and procedures and to evaluate their effectiveness
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information
- Ability to organize and direct oneself and effectively supervise others
- Demonstrated ability to work on concurrent tasks in a fast-paced environment while effectively planning, prioritizing, assigning and overseeing the work of others
- Ability to prepare comprehensive and accurate schedules and reports; ability to prepare and/or make presentations to individuals and various internal and/or external groups
- Ability to effectively develop project plans and to organize and manage complex information technology projects to completion; ability to conduct effective, thorough review of project requirements and deliverables; knowledge of project management tools and techniques
- Ability to effectively communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information
- Ability to utilize the available time to organize, implement and complete division objectives within given deadlines
- Ability to comply with all agency policies and applicable laws
- Ability to comply with all applicable safety rules, regulations and standards
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet required deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure and exacting schedules to complete assigned tasks
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and cordial working relationships at all organizational levels, including agency management, direct supervisors, co-workers, internal and external customers
- Ability to understand, follow and convey brief oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, and to support and contribute to a cohesive team environment
- Proficiency in the use of a personal computer and applicable software necessary to perform work assignments e.g. word processing, spreadsheets (Microsoft Office preferred)
- Regular and punctual attendance
- Criminal background check
- Frequent use of a personal computer, copiers, printers and telephones
- Frequent work under stress, as a team member, and in direct contact with others
- Frequent standing, walking, sitting, listening and talking
- Occasional bending and stooping
- Occasional lifting and climbing
Systems Analysis - IT, Program Management, Account Management (Non-Commissioned)