Title: Chief Operating Officer
Reports To: President
Positions Reporting to this Position: SVP, Finance; SVP, Human Resources
Location: Washington, DC
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for overseeing all of the organization’s business operations and procedures for the LCV family of organizations - LCV, LCV Action Fund, LCV Victory Fund and LCV Education Fund. This role requires an innovative leader committed to LCV’s mission who will actively promote our core value of advancing racial justice and equity. The primary objective for this position is to develop and maintain an organizational infrastructure and culture that enables staff to efficiently and effectively achieve the mission. This position reports directly to the President and oversees the Finance, Human Resources, Information Technology, Facilities and Administrative functions.
- Build a highly inclusive culture where employees thrive, and organizational objectives are met.
- Ensure that business functions have adequate staffing and tools to support the needs of the organization.
- Implement systems and processes that improve efficiencies and/or reduce business risk.
- Set and monitor operational performance metrics to ensure high quality internal customer service.
- Adhere to company, federal, state, and local business requirements, and working closely with the Legal Department, ensure compliance, assess and mitigate business risks.
Organizational Values & Integrity
- Demonstrates leadership in the organization’s long-term process to advance racial justice and equity in every facet of the organization.
- Leads efforts to create an organizational culture that is inclusive, respectful, and equitable.
- Serve as a key leader in the successful implementation of the organizational change processes underway within the organization.
- Serve as an ambassador of our racial justice and equity work, ensuring that our values and principles are reflected in employee relations.
- Identify organizational gaps and areas of improvement both large and small and develop and implement collaborative strategies to address these issues to make the organization more effective.
Human Resources & Administrative Services
- Identify and lead initiatives that strengthens the organizational culture in support of the overall strategy, mission, and values of the organization.
- Ensure that hiring, staff supervision, employee development and performance management practices are consistent with racial justice and equity goals and philosophy.
- Ensure training and learning opportunities are offered that strengthens the leadership capabilities of the Executive Team and support them in the success and development of the individuals in their department.
- Support staff at every level through identifying formal and informal professional development activities.
- Support supervisors in employee performance management including developing a robust annual performance review and goal setting process.
- Develop and implement strategies and policies that promote employee well-being.
- Continue to build a compensation and benefits system that helps with recruitment and retention of staff.
- Provide strategic guidance around the hiring process and specific hiring decisions.
- Ensure adherence to all HR regulations and best practices.
- Ensure that the human resources department is responsive to the needs of staff and is meeting their expectations.
- Ensure office equipment and furnishings serves the needs of our growing workforce.
- Ensure office administrative operations run effortlessly, including the negotiation and execution of contracts, vendor relationship management, and the streamlining of general office operating procedures where needed.
- Ensure current office infrastructure is able to support the future growth of the organization.
- Demonstrated success in leading business functions in the areas of finance, accounting and related compliance business planning.
- Ensure a robust set of financial controls are regularly followed.
- Expertise with financial controls, enhancing financial and accounting systems, and strategic planning.
- Ensure that the finance department is responsive to the needs of Board, external constituents and staff and is meeting their expectations.
- Perform regular review of financial reports and flag potential issues.
- Request financial analyses as necessary to understand long term trends and business risks.
- Ensure the budgeting process is efficient and meets the needs of the Board and senior staff.
- Experience leading the budgeting and reporting process for a complex multi-divisional organization.
- Ensure compliance with all internal and external financial reporting requirements.
- Understanding of internal financial reports and external regulatory reports, i.e. IRS Form 990, state tax returns, FEC filings, etc.
- Develop and execute a comprehensive IT plan that provides staff the tools to effectively do their jobs and integrate across departments and functions.
- Maintain an accessible and reliable network of distributed systems and tools to enable the connectivity of employees spread throughout the country.
- Periodically evaluate the performance and cost of IT vendors.
- Develop and execute a process for regular replenishment of IT equipment.
- Oversee all matters related to technology, including budget, personnel, projects, and infrastructure.
- Present overall technical guidance, strategy and project updates informed by the IT Team to senior leadership/management.
- Regularly assess the organization’s cybersecurity threat and oversee the organization’s cybersecurity posture.
- Oversee the organization’s disaster recovery and incident response efforts and planning.
- Oversee the evaluation, selection, and negotiation services for all technology related matters with external entities.
- Oversee technology training programs for LCV end-users.
- Assess facilities utilized by staff throughout the country to ensure cost-effectiveness, equity, and uniformity where possible.
- Designate a liaison to the property management company for headquarters office to ensure all facilities issues are addressed in a timely fashion.
- Analyze space needs and propose solutions to any space issues.
- Prior to the lease expiring for any office, assess facilities options, make recommendations, negotiate the new lease and execute a relocation if necessary.
- Work Experience: 15+ years of executive management experience; proven experience as a Chief Operating Officer or relevant role. Proven success managing and leading a diverse team; thorough understanding of finance systems, and HR; broad experience with the full range of business functions and systems, including budgeting, business analysis, finance, information systems, facilities/operations and human resources. Proven successful experience enhancing leadership capabilities of senior managers, as well as training, coaching and developing all levels of employees.
- Skills: Strategic and creative thinker, excellent interpersonal and emotional-intelligence skills. Exceptional listener and communicator; excellent written and oral communication skills. Highly collaborative. Instinctually inclined to engage others while also being able to successfully drive a project to timely conclusion. Ability to assess, analyze and map out a strategy to solve problems as they arise.
- Cultural Competence: Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity, views about differences, and the ability to learn and build on varying cultural and community norms. A commitment to the complex understanding of racial justice and the urgency of confronting institutional racism and inequity. Commitment to equity and inclusion as organizational practice and culture. Proven track record of successfully working across lines of race, ethnicity, language, class, gender and other identities and experiences.
- Conditions: Ability and willingness to travel. This position is based in Washington, D.C.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “COO” in the subject line no later than November 4, 2019. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.
Telecommunications Administration-Management, Systems Analysis - IT, General-Other: Business-Strategic Management, Office Management, Executive Support, HR Systems Administration, General-Other: Human Resources, Diversity Management-EEO-Compliance