Come bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services.
We are looking for a parttime Medical Technologist to work in our ROANOKE, VA reference lab performing specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients. Second Shift Wednesday-Friday schedule plus on-call rotation.
As a Medical Technologist at the Red Cross you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other Medical Technologist duties may include:
• Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
• Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
• Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
• Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
• Performing maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable
• Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management
• Technologist II: BS in Biological Science or Chemistry with ASCP (MT/MLS/CLS or BB) and 3 years blood bank experience OR ASCP MLT with 5 years blood bank experience.
• Experience/Skills: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work on a team. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
• Schedule: Must be available for daytime training during first 6-9 months on the job. After training, schedule is on Second Shift Wednesday-Friday 4pm-12:30am plus on-call rotation.
• Physical requirements: Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights