We are looking for a Chief Operating Officer, a position that will report directly to the Executive Director and will be part of our senior leadership team. The COO will work closely with the Executive Director and our four Managing Directors to drive project workflow, oversee operations, and manage key strategic relationships and initiatives for The Hub.
Key areas of responsibility for this role will include:
• overseeing core operations;
• risk management and coordinating legal services;
• supervising financial operations across several operating units;
• overseeing people management, including professional development, recruiting, hiring, and driving a comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion; and,
• managing key strategic initiatives and special projects.
We’re looking for someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and who is committed to our mission. We are looking for someone who can bring proven problem-solving skills to the week-to-week challenges of the organization, as well as insights and experience to help guide our longer-term strategy for growth and development. We’re looking for someone who is an experienced manager who can work with our existing seven-person Operations Team to build our organization’s capacity to grow and innovate.
The COO will play an integral leadership role at Hub Project. The ideal candidate will have experience working with organizations that focus on public policy, political/advocacy campaigns, and/or communications. This is a strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind-the-scenes role. This position requires a highly-resourceful individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and analytical skills.
Essential Responsibilities and Tasks
• Work closely with the Executive Director on overall management of the Hub. Assist and advise the Executive Director in developing, communicating, and implementing organizational goals, values, and policies; serve as a proxy to the Executive Director for certain meetings and decisions.
• Deliver work in a deadline-driven environment and handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
• Manage overall Hub legal work, including working with outside law firms to guide legal compliance and other risk management efforts.
• Supervise our increasingly complex financial operations and tracking across multiple operating entities.
• Oversee the work of the Talent and Operations Director and team to manage core operations and HR functions. Among the key responsibilities are: supervising our processes for recruiting, hiring, and professional development; supervising week-to-week contracting and improving our approach to vendors, RFPs, and vendor assessment; and, overseeing a comprehensive approach to diversity, equity, and inclusion at The Hub that is expansive in informing what we do, how we do it, and who we do it with.
• Working along with the Executive Director and Managing Directors, maintain outreach and strategic partnerships with national progressive organizations and help us incorporate a more cross-cutting, transformational approach to partnerships focused on developing deeper relationships across projects with key partners.
• Supporting fundraising, development, and grant reporting work with major funders.
• Drive key special projects and strategic initiatives, including staff retreats and the formation of, and engagement with, an Advisory Council for The Hub.
• You have a bachelor’s degree. An advanced degree, particularly in law or business/management would be a plus.
• You have experience in budgeting and financial management.
• You have substantial relevant work experience in government, policy, advocacy, campaigns, and/or non-profit management.
• You are an experienced and capable manager with relevant experience in organizational operations, people, and project management.
• You have a proven ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
• You are extremely well-organized and detail-oriented.
• You have a demonstrated ability to handle confidential information appropriately.
• You have strong writing and verbal communications skills.
• You have a knack for building and managing strong relationships.
• You have strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively with employees at all levels.
• You are wise and calm in exigent circumstances.
• You work well under pressure and handle stress with a sense of humor and grace.
How to Apply
To begin the application process, click here. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from The Hub. Thank you for your interest.