Salary and level hired (I or II) dependent on qualifications + Full-time County Benefits.
Police Officer I – $41,428 (recruit) or $43,500 (certified) / year
Police Officer II – $45,674 / year
Starting salaries are non-negotiable.
James City County Police Department (JCCPD) is seeking Police Officer candidates to join a professional team dedicated to improving the quality of life in the Greater Williamsburg area. Newly hired police officers will be on a shift assigned to patrolling various areas of the County in a marked police vehicle. JCCPD offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments and training including: honor guard, SWAT, bike patrol, school resource officers (5), uniform and marine patrols, underwater search & recovery, crisis negotiations, motorcycles, tactical field force, and investigations(various qualifications are required for special assignments, teams, and units). The County offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including a take-home car program for those living in or within 15 driving miles of the County; participation in Virginia Retirement System (LEOS); 11-paid holidays; tuition assistance; a homeownership program with up to $3,000 in matching closing costs; a free membership to the JCC Recreation Center (fitness, free weights, pool, track); and eligibility for career advancement pay increases.
- Work requires obtaining and/or maintaining sworn law enforcement officer status to maintain public peace, protect life and property, enforce laws, and conduct investigations according to departmental policies and with minimal supervision. The officer is expected to perform specialized and involved tasks, administrative duties, including the investigation of complex incidents or criminal acts.
- Operates police vehicle to observe for violations of traffic laws, suspicious activities or persons, and disturbances of law and order: responds to radio dispatches; answers calls and complaints; responds to major crime calls (robbery, rape, murder, maiming, burglary, etc.); performs foot patrols to serve as a deterrent to criminal activity and to enhance the department’s Community Policing philosophy; investigates complaints and issues summonses or makes arrests; prepares detailed reports and maintains records.
- Detects and investigates crimes: conducts surveillance of individuals, vehicles, or locations; interviews victims, suspects, and witnesses; collects and identifies evidence and property; seizes contraband and/or evidence; protects crime scenes; investigates traffic crashes.
- Apprehends and arrests suspects, using weapons when necessary; obtains, verifies, and executes arrest warrants; conducts high risk felony vehicle stops; detains, searches, arrests, and handcuffs persons, as required; subdues and disarms resisting or attacking persons; transports and handles prisoners.
- Prepares for and gives legal testimony; appears in court as a designated investigating officer.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Must be at least 21 years of age by completion of field training
- Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705
- Must have a high school diploma or GED; some college preferred
- Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia driver's license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County's criteria
- Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
- any felony
- any offense involving moral turpitude
- any misdemeanor sex offense
- domestic assault
- Must not have any automatic disqualifiers
- Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening
- If conditionally accepted for a position, undergo:
- a thorough background investigation including fingerprint-based criminal history records inquiries to both the CCRE and FBI
- a polygraph examination, psychological screening, and fitness assessment
- a physical examination and drug test
Applicants, please note:
- Applying is a two-step process (1. complete your profile, and 2. submit to apply for the position)
- Be thorough and detailed on the application
- Complete all tabs within the Employment History section
- Include any attachments that would complement your application package (for example, educational certificate(s) or diploma(s), DD Form 214, relevant training documents, etc.)
- Cover letters and resumes may also be attached, but a fully-completed application is required.
All complete applications will be reviewed, to include driving record and criminal history checks related to the Code of Virginia and JCCPD’s automatic disqualifiers. Selected applicants will continue to a telephone interview. Selected applicants will continue to an in-person panel interview. A thorough background investigation will be completed, to include: fingerprint-based criminal history check through CCRE and FBI, sex offender registry check, polygraph (lie detector), character and employment reference checks, credit history, psychological and fitness assessment, and medical exam with hearing and drug tests.
Click here to read more information, to include steps in the recruiting / hiring process and the list of automatic disqualifiers. Click here to view the full job description.
Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST on 02/02/2020. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov