Competitive Salary; Full-time with County Benefits and On-call positions available.
The Williamsburg-James City County’s Sheriff’s department is seeking an individual to perform responsible work enforcing courtroom and courthouse security and serving civil process in James City County and the City of Williamsburg according to established Williamsburg-James City County Sheriff’s Office procedures under varying degrees of supervision. There are three levels of Deputy Sheriff distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Deputy Sheriff I – $35,832-$57,331 / year DOQ
Deputy Sheriff II – $38,527-$61,644 / year DOQ
Deputy Sheriff III – $41,428-$66,285 / year DOQ
- Observes, checks, monitors, and controls the movement of all individuals entering the courthouse to ensure the security and safety of all court personnel, judges, clerks, attorneys, witnesses, plaintiffs, defendants and public.
- Maintains security and order in courtrooms overseeing courtroom case load and trial proceedings; serves all civil processes issued by the courts, other judicial offices, attorneys in Virginia, and those received from out of state in keeping with Virginia law and Williamsburg-James City County Sheriff’s Office policies.
- (Deputy Sheriff II/III) Opens and closes courtrooms; assists and advises junior deputies with more difficult or hazardous situations as instructed; assumes command of the shift/unit in the absence of or at the direction of the Sergeant; ensures that calls for service are answered and dealt with in a timely manner; serves as needed in a specialty area such as Field Training Deputy, or Instructor.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; Associate’s degree in related field preferred.
- Must be a citizen of the United States and be at least 21 years of age at time of hire.
- Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of employment a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Must not have been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or no contest to a felony or an offense that would be a felony if committed in Virginia; certain crimes involving moral turpitude; any misdemeanor sex offense; domestic assault; or others that cannot be explained to the satisfaction of the Sheriff.
- Knowledge of modern methods and practices of court operations, civil service process, applicable federal, state and local laws, and ordinances; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
Click here for full job description. Accepting applications until position is filled.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov