$64,027 year / or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits
The Williamsburg-James City County’s Sheriff’s department is seeking an individual to perform advanced administrative work in overseeing all aspects of the office to include the serving of court process, security of the courthouse, security of courtrooms and the manning of the control room.
- Assigns personnel to the different jobs within the office; approves or denies all leave requests based on availability of staff and produces a weekly work schedule; investigates applicants undergoing the hiring process.
- Maintains and schedules all in-service and training needs; ensures mandatory training is met; assists in teaching courses certified to instruct (i.e. Taser Training, Firearms, and Defensive Tactics).
- Assists in establishing policies and procedures for the operation of the office.
- Monitors, assigns, and approves all extra duty assignments and ensures that they are billed out correctly.
- Investigates and approves all concealed handgun permits that are issued through the circuit court.
- Investigates complaints; acts as a liaison with all other agencies to include governmental, private, and public.
- Any combination of education or experience equivalent to an Associate’s Degree with major course work in criminal justice or related field and extensive experience in law enforcement and court procedures.
- Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia Driver’s License and acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Comprehensive knowledge of laws, rules, and legal requirements as it pertains to the civil process function of a Virginia Sheriff’s Office, to include completion of the Advanced Civil Process Course.
- Thorough knowledge of laws, rules, and regulations relating to courts and criminal justice; the rules and regulations of the Sheriff’s Office; the geography of the County.
- Skill in the use of firearms, public safety equipment and motor vehicles.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions and to prepare clear, comprehensive reports; deal courteously, firmly, and tactfully with the public; analyze situations and adopt quick, effective, and reasonable courses of action.
Click here for full job description. Accepting applications until position is filled
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov