America Votes is the coordination hub of the progressive community, leading collaborative efforts among a diverse coalition of more than 400 state and national partner organizations to advance progressive policies, win elections and protect every American’s right to vote. America Votes works nationally and in more than 20 states to provide a range of services to partners, including strategic planning, advocacy and electoral campaign coordination, data tools and targeting services, and on-the-ground leadership in key states. For more information about America Votes, visit www.americavotes.org.
Commitment to Racial Equity
America Votes is committed to advancing racial equity through organizational systems and policies that are consistently tested, evaluated and updated. Some organizational priorities include:
- Building reflective and equitable state and national networks and partnerships.
- Increasing engagement of state-based groups building power in communities of color in the planning process.
- Expanding the Community Power Builders program, designed to support organizations led by and working in communities of color as they emerge into the 501(c)(4) space.
America Votes sees its commitment to racial equity as an integral part of its success. Applicants are encouraged to reflect on how they see themselves contributing to America Votes’ work on advancing racial equity.
America Votes Wisconsin is seeking a well-organized self-starter for a full-time position as deputy state director. The Wisconsin deputy state director plays a key role in the advancement of the progressive movement in the state and is responsible for the year-round coordination and alignment of electoral, organizing, advocacy and policy work among partners and allies. The position works directly with the America Votes team in Wisconsin, as well as dozens of progressive partners and allies with the state’s progressive movement. This position reports directly to the Wisconsin state director.
This position is based in Wisconsin, city negotiable.
- Strategic planning assistance and leadership – support coalition partners through the development of campaign plans (electoral and issue campaigns), providing technical and organizing assistance, responding to programmatic requests and participating actively and leading in long-range strategic planning for the Wisconsin progressive movement.
- Plan and facilitate regular coalition meetings for organizations to create and share plans as well as progress toward goals; identify problems and new opportunities.
- Facilitate innovation and creative solutions to challenges related to electoral and issue campaigns, short and long-term campaign planning, and capacity building.
- Advocate for partner organizations and elevate quality programs in the state, assist organizations in identifying potential resources and move resources to partner groups whenever possible.
- Lead, organize and facilitate coordinated and/or collaborative partner events, including coalition meetings, trainings and direct voter contact activities. Develop and execute training curriculum to advance partner’s program, as well as create and organize resources.
- Develop capacity-building opportunities for partners and work directly with the state director, data manager, and program director to assess program gaps and overlaps to maximize program impact.
- Lead and support the creation and development of written reports and products to tell the story of Wisconsin and support the coalition.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Experience working with underrepresented and/or historically marginalized communities, particularly in political and organizing settings.
- Demonstrated ability to build consensus, negotiate, and strategically disagree within a highly collaborative work environment; ability to be respected by progressive stakeholders, trusted to lead and able to practice confidentiality, discretion and legal compliance in the work.
- Ability to build strong relationships quickly and cultivate those relationships over the long term; experience facilitating and working within broad and diverse coalitions.
- Ability to work independently as well as drive and manage own workload; ability to manage several tasks/ projects concurrently and prioritize work effectively by making and meeting team goals.
- Excellent communication and time management skills, with attention to detail.
- Ability to travel within the state (as needed); ability to work sometimes long, irregular hours, especially during the peak months of the electoral cycle. Must be a self-starter.
- Ideal candidates will have four-five years’ experience in progressive political campaigns, progressive non-profits (with an organizing focus) or within similar entities.
- Ideal candidates will have experience with standard presentation materials including Google and Microsoft Suite (Excel, Power Point, etc).
- Ideal candidates will have a minimum of four years’ experience in progressive political campaigns, progressive non-profits (with an organizing or advocacy focus) or similar transferable experience, specifically in direct voter contact programs.
- Candidates should have a spirit of service and curiosity, along with a diplomatic, professional approach to problem-solving in work with outside partners and while working internally, independently or on a team.
- Commitment to confidentiality.
- Team oriented attitude and sense of humor.
- Knowledge of and experience with Wisconsin political landscape and/or independent expenditure political campaigns
- Curiosity and a demonstrated ability to lead strategic planning processes and programs, setting the stage for future work
- Project management or event planning experience
- Experience with program analysis, research and testing
- Familiarity with campaign and/or organizing metrics
- Experience or training in race equity/anti-racist frameworks; a general understanding of how power intersects with gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation and class in organizing and electoral settings
- Strong VAN (Voter Activation Network) skills and familiarity with digital campaign technology
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present and facilitate large meetings
Salary is commensurate with experience, $65,000 - $75,000. Benefits include health, dental, vision, 401(K), paid vacation, sick days and parental leave.
Please submit a copy of your resume, a cover letter and three references to the application form.
If you experience any technical difficulties with our application form, please email email@example.com. Please note that only applications received through the application form will be considered; please do not email us your application materials.
America Votes is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse, inclusive and equitable workplace. America Votes does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected category under local, state or federal law.