Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors. The American Red Cross International Services Department (ISD) helps vulnerable people and communities around the world prepare for, respond to, and recover from disasters and humanitarian crises by mobilizing the power of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. With programs and partners across the globe and as part of the International Federation of Red Cross, the American Red Cross is working to strengthen the global Red Cross and Red Crescent network to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
The Response and Recovery Program Sr. Director provides leadership and management oversight of the American Red Cross response and recovery portfolio and programs around the globe. In collaboration with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, and with regional and country level teams and relevant movement partners and stakeholders. The Sr. Director is responsible for planning and coordinating American Red Cross contributions to international emergencies, including funds, material assistance and people (technical personnel and Emergency Response Units); leading and executing all American Red Cross post-disaster recovery phase interventions and investments; oversight and management of the Response and Recovery Program team (more than 20 staff and dozens of volunteers) and portfolio to ensure effective, timely and seamless response and recovery operations; and ensuring the American Red Cross is ready to respond at all levels (from headquarters to country level) while strengthening RCRC Movement global response and recovery capacity and engagement in key response and recovery priority areas. The Sr. Director will work closely with the American Red Cross Policy and Partnership unit, the IFRC and ICRC to influence humanitarian policy within and outside the Red Cross Movement and to support cultivation of fundraising opportunities for American Red Cross and the Movement. The position is based in our Headquarters in Washington DC. IRP Executive Director may assign additional specific program and/or management oversight responsibilities to the Sr. Director in the future as needs dictate.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead and coordinate American Red Cross contributions to international emergencies, including response and recovery program management and implementation, financial contributions, supplies, and technical assistance (personnel and ERUs), donor cultivation and stewardship in close collaboration with regional, and country level teams, the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, and relevant stakeholders.
- Develop, measure and improve response and recovery program components through an inclusive approach to ensure that there are the tools, resources, doctrine, decision-making guidelines, performance metrics and training necessary to execute the programs effectively, and in accordance with emerging humanitarian needs, best practices, and guiding principles within the humanitarian community.
- Engage across the NHQ teams (including International Services Finance, Policy and Partnership unit, Quality, Data & Learning unit and Program Support unit) and field teams to provide and coordinate guidance in the design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of our response and recovery programs.
- Engage across the Movement and beyond to develop, foster and operationalize partnerships to support and improve collective impact models, including with Movement and non-Movement partners/stakeholders; participate in movement-wide policy development through the Disaster & Crisis Working Group (DCWG) or other bodies.
- Ensure and maintain readiness (resources, systems, processes, and tools) to ensure adequate organizational response from all levels (from headquarters to country level), including strengthening RCRC Movement global response capacity and engagement in key response priority areas – currently Relief/Cash Transfer ; Information and Technology; Surge Information Management System/Data Readiness; and Operational Leadership.
- Coordinate American Red Cross’ international response program support to domestic disaster response as required, including from other NSs.
- Oversee the management of the response and recovery portfolio, with accountability for quality, engagement, budgeting, performance monitoring, reporting, and close-out being carried out in a timely and appropriate fashion in accordance with American Red Cross corporate rules and regulations, formats and standards; facilitates program management reviews to identify program management deficiencies and potential systems solutions.
- BA/BS or MA in international studies, business management, public administration or relevant field required.
- At least ten years’ experience in humanitarian operations management and implementation of international response and recovery programs, with at least five years’ experience directly managing international response and recovery programs and contributing to policy development.
- Minimum of 7 years of managerial experience is required. Significant overseas/field experience with international NGO, and /or RC/RC is required.
- Knowledge of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, international response, preparedness, recovery, and development principles and operations management is essential.
- Proven track record of success leading high-profile, highly complex international disasters operations.
- Proven track record of successfully strengthening relationships with USAID, OFDA, PRM, and other agencies highly preferred.
- Strong leadership skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as effective interpersonal skills are required.
- Must display flexibility, adaptability, initiative, be results oriented, and possess a high degree of competence in planning, project management, team building, teamwork, and commitment to the American Red Cross principles.
- Must possess strong personal integrity and ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Working knowledge of a foreign language highly desirable. Must be computer proficient, especially in MS Office.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights