Please use Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox when accessing Candidate Home.
By joining the American Red Cross you will touch millions of lives every year and experience the greatness of the human spirit at its best. Are you ready to be part of the world's largest humanitarian network?
The American Red Cross International Services Department seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. The American Red Cross continues to deepen and expand its international programming while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network in order to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
The Data, GIS, and ICT team is looking for a full time Data Engineer to support our data initiatives. The Data Engineer will foster a data culture, assist in making data more accessible, and build stronger communities of practice around open-source technology with our preparedness, response, and recovery programs. The position will be responsible for supporting software and web development and database design projects to enhance our ability to manage and visualize data responsibly and effectively to be used for improved decision-making.
- Support a variety of web and software development projects, including light developer work where appropriate. Troubleshoot any potential issues with existing web projects and guide improvements or enhancements.
- Provide extensive technical support to data management projects in response to recovery environments. Identify, design, and implement data collection, management, and reporting systems. Knowledge in beneficiary management systems and tools in response operations is helpful.
- Create visualizations and establish workflows for analyzing a variety of primary and secondary datasets.
- Identify and leverage opportunities to scale up the use of existing tools and practices.
- Identify workflows or technological solutions for engaging volunteers for improved and efficient data collection.
- Travel to project sites to train volunteers and project members on data collection and management and support country teams and National Society partners to develop data strategies.
- Build use-cases and user-friendly documentation for integrating open-source or data management projects.
- Advise on movement partners data platforms, such as the GO Platform with the IFRC, to improve data visualizations and information flows for national societies in response operations.
- Support development of training paths and materials for deployable roster members in information management in response.
- Deploy to disaster responses on limited notice, for up to one month, as an information management delegate at least once a year.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in a related field (information systems, computer science, GIS, IT) with a minimum of 5 years of experience.
- Enthusiasm for open data and open-source tools. Familiar with one or more modern web development frameworks.
- Experience deploying open-source software to production environments at scale.
- High proficiency with Excel and/or relational databases. Experience with the use of SQL or other relational database query language. Familiarity with case management systems is a plus.
- Proven ability to use Tableau, Power Bi, D3, or other data analysis and visualization tool. Some UX/UI experience is a plus.
- Experience planning and delivering technical trainings to a wide variety of audiences with varying skill levels.
- Experience with data visualization including Adobe Creative Suite and/or InkScape, or other graphic design software to create informative and appealing infographics.
- Experience conducting research to locate and obtain existing relevant data.
- Ability to tackle problems under a variety of circumstances and adapt to dynamic situations, especially in high-stress and fast changing environments.
- Experience using geospatial tools and applications such as QGIS and GDAL (preferred).
- Knowledge of survey design, data collection, and management using mobile data collection tools (preferred).
- Ability to work as an active team member but independently, with limited guidance.
- Experience with the Red Cross network and international humanitarian work (preferred).
- Experience working on international development or humanitarian response projects, preferably not only in headquarters based roles (preferred).
- Experience building project plans and budgets (preferred).
- Proficiency in Spanish or French helpful.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights