Salary DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits
James City County Grounds Maintenance Division is seeking an individual to perform responsible work maintaining the appearance of grounds for various facilities including cutting grass, repairing damaged lawns, pruning trees and shrubs, applying horticultural chemicals and securing areas for public safety in emergencies.
There are three levels of Groundskeeper distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Groundskeeper I: $24,683 / year or higher DOQ
Groundskeeper II: $26,540 / year or higher DOQ
Groundskeeper III: $28,823 / year or higher DOQ
- Maintain appearance of grounds including mowing, edging, weeding, watering, trimming, raking and planting; maintain sidewalks and other paved areas by clearing debris; clear snow from sidewalks and makes passageways around the County buildings as needed.
- Maintain groundskeeping equipment by performing preventive maintenance and minor corrective maintenance.
- Move office furniture, boxes, etc., as requested, including voting machines.
- Assist in building maintenance, repair, renovations and special construction projects as required.
- (Groundskeeper II) Operate heavy equipment requiring a Commercial Driver’s License.
- This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school diploma; some experience in the methods, equipment, materials and tools used in grounds maintenance work as needed to maintain gardens, building grounds and paved areas.
- Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical labor; operate powered grounds-keeping equipment and electric hand tools; deal courteously with the public; follow oral and written instructions; communicate effectively both orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other County employees and the public.
- (Groundskeeper II Only): Requires certification as a Pesticide Registered Technician from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and consumer Services, Office of Pesticide Services; must possess a valid Class A or B Virginia Commercial driver’s license.
Click here for full job description. Accepting application until position is filled.
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov