We strongly encourage people of color, transgender and non-binary people to apply. HRC is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone, including non-LGBTQ people, to join our team.
The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) is the nation’s largest civil rights organization working to achieve equality for LGBTQ people.
This position’s primary focus is recruiting/staffing in a fast-paced HR department, but also works on benefits, compensation, employee relations, retention, policies/procedures, and special projects supporting the organization. Over the next 12 months HRC will be implementing a new HRIS system, so this is an excellent opportunity to gain experience configuring and implementing a new system.
- Conducts full-cycle recruiting, which includes sourcing and recruiting for assigned open positions. Provides guidance to hiring managers through the internal and external recruitment strategy development.
- Sources candidates and screens resumes, interviews candidates, recommends finalists and negotiates and extends salary offers to candidates.
- Represents HRC at career fairs and campus recruiting events.
- Measures recruiting efforts to determine their effectiveness.
- Processes pay changes and internal promotions.
- Executes various HR programs (performance management, benefits, compensation administration, EEO & diversity, professional development, and awards & recognition) through training and implementation.
- Compiles metrics and produces various reports.
- Answers questions from staff and managers, providing information, interpretation of policies, and advice about the workplace.
- Reinforces company culture and values and works to support a positive work environment and morale among staff.
- Enforces company policies and works to reduce company threats and liabilities.
- Familiarizes employees with policies and procedures and collective bargaining agreement through orientation, email, discussions, etc.
- Conducts new employee orientation.
- Acts as back up for administering leaves of absence (FMLA, parental, LTD/STD, workers comp, etc.)
- May conduct exit interviews and monitor turnover.
- May prepare and send offer letter packages to new employees.
- Assists in developing departmental goals, objectives and budget.
- Assists with HR compliance matters such as EEO-1 reporting.
- Keeps up to date with the latest HR trends and best practice.
- Maintains confidentiality and security of all employee and proprietary company information.
- Maintains recruitment files and job descriptions.
- Completes special projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in experience and three to five years of progressive Human Resources experience.
- Understanding of Federal, State, and District employment laws and regulations.
- PHR or SHRM-CP certification preferred.
- Experience as an in-house recruiter preferred.
- A demonstrated understanding of federal and local employment laws.
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity in dealing with confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to use tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive issues.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to analyze problems, gather pertinent data, and recommend solutions.
- Strong organizational skills are required to meet recurring deadlines and maintain tracking systems related to human resource and recruiting information.
- Strong attention to detail is required.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of the organization
- Ability to maintain composure and good judgment when dealing with deadlines, dissatisfied employees, or fast paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to changing priorities as needed.
- Experience working in a union environment is a plus but not required.
- Proficient with MS Office Suite and Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive)
- Experience with an HRIS and an applicant tracking system is required.
- Knowledge of LGBTQ issues is preferred. Sincere openness to learn about administering HR services to diverse groups of employees is required.
- Some travel may be required (typically less than 10% of the year).
All positions at the Human Rights Campaign may require travel on a regular basis or periodically. Where the need arises for business travel, appropriate compensation as outlined by the Fair Labor Standards Act will apply.
No phone calls or emails, please. Due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to queries about application status.
Please apply via the website with your resume and cover letter.