- Reports to: Assistant Controller
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Finance
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
American Progress seeks an experienced Accountant/Payroll Accountant with proven experience processing payroll and supporting enterprise travel. The ideal candidate will have outstanding attention to detail and a demonstrated ability to provide superior internal customer service. They will have recent experience in processing payroll for an organization with about 300 employees. This position will offer a full range of support in the primary areas of payroll and travel. The Accountant/Payroll Accountant reports to the Assistant Controller and works closely with the Office Services and budget, planning, and forecasting teams.
Payroll and benefits accounting
- Serve as the primary contact for American Progress staff for all timesheet and payroll-related inquiries.
- Train staff on timesheet entry procedures and review timesheets to ensure accuracy.
- Maintain all earnings and deduction codes in the payroll system to ensure error-free processing.
- Collaborate with Human Resources staff to ensure the accuracy of onboarding and offboarding of staff.
- Process timesheet data in Ceridian for review by the Chief Financial Officer or Vice President of Finance before final commitment and payment to employees.
- Reconcile data among timekeeping, payroll, benefits, and general ledger systems, including related journal entries.
- Reconcile monthly benefit invoices to Ceridian to ensure accuracy of amounts paid.
- Reconcile payroll records to timely and accurate 401(k) contributions.
- Prepare weekly, monthly, quarterly, and year-end management reports.
- Review all year-end documents, such as W-2s, Form 1095, and others, for accuracy and distribution.
- Communicate with federal and state tax offices as needed.
- Support the Office Services team in implementing organizationwide travel policies and procedures.
- Serve as American Progress’ Concur point of contact for expenses, travel requests, and user issues.
- Analyze and recommend Concur configuration changes to optimize user experience.
- Liaise with American Progress’ external travel partners to provide customer support for day-to-day employee and guest travel issues.
- Perform project and general ledger accounting work as necessary.
- Serve as a back-up for accounts payable.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Strong knowledge of payroll, travel, and expense processing systems is preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience processing payroll is required.
- Multistate payroll processing experience is preferred.
- Must be able to interact and communicate with staff at all levels and build strong relationships.
- Strong administrative skills, including high proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must be self-directed with the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Must be detail oriented and able to produce error-free work.
- Must be flexible and adaptive to change.
- Ability to take initiative and be accountable for actions.
- Proven ability to maintain confidentiality.
This position offers full and competitive benefits packages. The salary for this position is budgeted for $55,000.