Title: Human Resources Director
Department: Human Resources & Administration
Reports To: Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Administrative Services
Positions Reporting To This Position: Human Resources Recruiter
Location: Washington, DC
LCV believes our earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people—not polluters—determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
LCV is searching for a Human Resources Director with experience in collective bargaining and experience serving a workforce represented by a labor union. The Human Resources Director will manage the enhancement and implementation of personnel policies and practices, including employee benefits administration, payroll, and employee education on benefit programs and onboarding of new staff. The Human Resources Director will directly supervise the Human Resources Recruiter, providing direction and oversight and guidance on the organization’s recruitment and hiring efforts and will work with the Senior Vice President for Human Resources and Administrative Services to update the organization's human resources policies, programs and practices.
- Administers semimonthly processing of payroll for LCV and LCV Education Fund.
- Administers benefits programs including health, vision and dental insurance, disability and life insurance, 401(k) plan, SmartBenefits® program and paid time off.
- Tracks and maintains leave requests and leave balances for employees.
- Works with the SVP of Human Resources to review the organization’s Personnel Manual/ Employee Handbook, ensuring our policies and practices are centered with racial justice and are appropriately updated.
- Works with the SVP of Human Resources and Administrative Services on annual benefits contract renewals and benefits open enrollment season, including full staff employee education sessions.
- Maintains historical human resource records; redesign filing and retrieval system for past and current records. Responds to inquiries regarding policies, procedures, and programs.
- Ensures state payroll tax accounts are obtained as needed; communicates all account information and account changes to payroll provider.
- Oversees administration of retirement plan semi monthly contribution funding.
- Studies and assesses benefit needs and trends; recommends updates to benefit programs to the SVP of Human Resources and Administrative Services that reflect our racial justice and equity goals.
- Assists in evaluation of reports, decisions and results of department in relation to established goals. Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed, while centering racial justice and equity in these policies and procedures.
- Ensures compliance with all existing government and labor reporting requirements including the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO), the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the Department of Labor, workers compensation, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), etc. and ensures minimal organizational exposure.
- Works with department SVP to set and achieve racial justice and equity goals, organizational culture goals and professional development goals, in order to ultimately achieve the organization’s strategic plan goals.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Work experience: At least seven to ten years of experience in Human Resources, with a minimum of three years in an HR leadership position, including directly supervising employees. Experience in the administration of benefits and compensation programs and other Human Resources programs. General knowledge of various employment laws and practices. Experience with Paylocity, Paychex Preview or other human resource management software. Prior experience working with labor unions and experience in collective bargaining, nonprofit or advocacy experience a plus.
- Skills: Well-organized; hard-working; thorough & detail-oriented; able to manage multiple tasks at once, and work across departments to achieve shared goals; thrives in a fast-paced campaign environment; has a professional demeanor. Evidence of the practice of a high level of confidentiality. General knowledge of employment law, compensation practices, employee relations, safety, training, and labor relations.
- Cultural Competence: Experience with and an understanding of the importance of recruiting a rich mix of candidates from varying backgrounds and experiences. Shares our commitment to increasing racial diversity in our movement and organization, integrating justice and equity into the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture.
- Conditions: This position is based in Washington, DC. Please note that all LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “HR Director” in the subject line by July 6, 2020. No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.