We are looking for a Technologist (ASCP MLT, MT, CLS or MLS) to join our IRL team.
This position will perform basic and guided intermediate donor and patient tests and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Resolve compatibility problems; provide basic reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services. Perform automated and manual test procedures on blood samples. Adhere to explicit standard operating procedures and interpret test results in accordance with the applicable regulatory requirements. Provide support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
Perform all duties and responsibilities in compliance with standard operating procedures and other applicable Federal, State and local regulations.
1. May consult and communicate with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve serologic problems and provide special units to transfusion recipients.
2. Perform duties associated with receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples, to include ordering, receiving, inspection, preparation, and quality control of supplies and reagents.
3. Perform and interpret basic and intermediate donor and/or patient testing procedures, guided complex serologic problem resolution, and complete required quality control, as appropriate to state and federal regulations. Recognize testing irregularities, identify the cause, determine the solution and resolve the problem or refers it to the appropriate level. May perform special testing.
4. Maintain, edit and review computer and manual records to assure accurate record keeping. Maintain accurate, legible and complete records. May assist with the maintenance and repair of laboratory equipment and software maintenance.
Scope: Must be able to work independently and demonstrate independent problem-solving skills.
Education: Minimum MLT or MT (ASCP) certification required OR BB (ASCP), Bachelor's degree in Biological Science or Chemistry
Experience: Less than 3 years of blood banking experience, Licensure if required by state
Education: MLT (ASCP)
Experience: Minimum 4 years of general laboratory experience, Licensure if required by state
Management Experience: N/A
Skills/Abilities: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Ability to work on a team.
Travel: May involve variable locations and some travel
* Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights