Title: Communications Associate
Reports To: Editorial Director
Positions Reporting To This Position: None
Location: Washington, DC (Remote during COVID-19 pandemic)
Union Position: Yes
Job Classification Level: A
Salary Range (depending on experience): $47,000-$55,000
LCV believes our Earth is worth fighting for because everyone has a right to clean air, water, and a safe, healthy community. To ensure those rights are protected, we help people use their power to shape policy, hold politicians and polluters accountable, and influence elections.
Our over 2 million members, our volunteers and staff, and our more than 30 state affiliates (together, the Conservation Voter Movement) work for a more just and equitable democracy, where people--not polluters--determine our future. This movement is an influential national network with unparalleled influence in Washington, DC, in state capitals, and in communities around the country. We are unmatched in our ability to ensure meaningful action on our key issues. We aim to bring people and communities together across racial, geographic, political, religious, economic and other differences toward collective goals instead of dividing us from one another.
LCV is hiring a Communications Associate to serve as a key member of the Communications team, which focuses on external communications and media relations. The Communications Associate plays a critical role in supporting the entire communications team and is responsible for drafting and distributing communications content, including, but not limited, to a weekly tip sheet, daily press clips, and, as needed, blog posts and press statements. The Communications Associate will also assist in executing media events, rapid response, and large-scale narrative content like videos and reports, incorporating storytelling throughout our communications. This position will also help with the administrative needs of the communications department.
- Support all functions of the Communications department, including content creation, media relations, and administrative tasks.
- Draft a weekly tip sheet, and, as needed, blogs, press statements and releases, op-eds, and other communications materials, ensuring all drafted materials reflect LCV’s commitment to racial justice and equity and, where appropriate, highlight stories from LCV and state partners.
- Monitor media and distributes daily LCV press clips, including news stories about LCV and our state partners.
- Manage press lists and support media activities on priority issue advocacy and electoral campaigns.
- Assist in the production process of print, electronic and multimedia materials, collaborating with key staff from across the organization.
- Lead daily Communications team meeting, manage team calendar, and write weekly bullets for all-staff email updates.
- Project manage weekly tip sheet process, from story identification and review with a cross departmental team through public distribution, as well as other special projects.
- Manage subscriptions, vendor relationships, and vendor invoices for the Communications department.
- Participate actively in centering racial justice and equity in all LCV communications, including weekly tip sheets, blog posts, and press materials.
- Other responsibilities as needed.
- Work Experience: At least 1-2 years of experience in external communications, media relations or journalism, preferably in a campaign, government or advocacy setting (internship experience acceptable). Experience with web or graphic design tools like Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and WordPress desirable, but not mandatory.
- Skills: Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; ability to prioritize and effectively manage tasks in a fast-paced work environment; desire to take initiative; strong organizational skills; ability to thrive in a collaborative environment and work with colleagues across many departments; strong research skills.
- Cultural Competence: Shares our commitment to increasing racial justice and equity in our movement and organization, integrating these principles into all of the work we do and ensuring an inclusive organizational culture. Interest in environmental and/or political advocacy.
- Conditions: Ability to work overtime with little notice; able to work hours exceeding stated office hours to get the job done. This position is based in Washington, DC. Please note that all LCV staff are currently working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line by October 13, 2020. In a few sentences in your cover letter, tell us in your own words what it means to say that “climate justice is racial justice.” No phone calls please.
LCV is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a racially just, equitable and inclusive workplace.