This position works to develop and implement strategic communication plans and messaging for the Center for Pediatric Clinical Effectiveness (CPCE). Under leadership supervision, and in collaboration with stakeholders and subject matter experts, this position independently deploys a variety of communication channels and stays abreast of new trends and advances in digital communications and CHOP’s communications capacities. This position will serve as a liaison between CPCE and CHOP and Research Institute public relations and marketing services.
CPCE is a research center within the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) Research Institute which is dedicated to discovering and sharing knowledge about best practices in pediatric care. Clinical effectiveness research seeks to answer the question “What works?” in healthcare. Learn more about CPCE at https://cpce.research.chop.edu/.
In 2020, with the support of the CHOP Research Institute leadership, CPCE engaged external consultants to conduct a robust strategic plan to examine ways the Center can strengthen, connect, and increase its impact on pediatric clinical effectiveness, child health, and CHOP’s care delivery model. Enhanced communication and dissemination were identified as crucial for the translation of clinical research into practice, as well as achieving greater internal and external visibility of CPCE.
- Work closely with CPCE leadership to develop and implement an overall CPCE strategic communications agenda, including a comprehensive editorial calendar
- Provide project leadership and writing/editing expertise for content-driven communications projects, including but not limited to branding and web development
- Build relationships with CPCE faculty to proactively identify projects appropriate for dissemination
- Adapt research results and technical documents for consumer, stakeholder and media dissemination, working with CHOP public relations team when appropriate
- Manage all aspects of the CPCE website; develop and implement strategies to grow visitors and increase user engagement
- Manage CPCE’s social media strategy in support of communication and dissemination goals; develop and implement strategies to increase followers and engagement
- Manage external and internal email newsletters; develop and implement strategies to increase list size and optimize email performance
- Manage web, social media, and e-mail analytics to track outreach and impact of communication tactics; report communications impact to CPCE leadership and other stakeholders on an annual basis and/or as requested
- Match promotional needs with appropriate outreach strategies and tactics
- Assemble and manage project teams, often from different departments at CHOP, through use of project management tools
- Hire, supervise, train and mentor interns, freelance support, and/or full time staff as needed
- Ensure appropriate and consistent branding
- Prepare and manage communication and dissemination budgets with guidance from the Center’s Administrative Director and keep stakeholders apprised
- Other duties as assigned
Required Education and Experience
Required education: Bachelor’s degree
Required experience: At least five (5) years of experience in public relations, digital communications and/or non-profit, public or consumer health, cause-related marketing.
Additional Technical Requirements
- Facility with Microsoft Office software, CMS platforms and/or HTML, and Google web management products. Familiarity with desktop publishing such as Adobe Illustrator or Quark is a plus.
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking and time management skills
- Professional experience with social media, Search engine optimization, email database management
- Interpersonal communications skills, including interaction with senior management
- Excellent writing skills-- experience with news writing, copy-editing, fact-checking, AP and AMA styles will be valued
- Adaptability to handle varied projects and topics as needed