The American Red Cross is a humanitarian organization, led by volunteers, that provides relief to victims of disaster and helps people prevent, prepare for, and respond to emergencies. It does this through services that are consistent with its Congressional Charter and the Fundamental Principles of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 590 chapters nationwide.
The American Red Cross of South Florida is seeking a passionate Regional Communications Director to work in our South Florida Region. This is a full time, salary exempt position and you must be willing to work on-call 24/7 as needed. Bilingual candidates (Spanish/English) are highly desirable as well as candidates with management and volunteer management experience. A valid driver's license and good driving record and able to day travel through the region once restrictions are lifted.
The Regional Communications Director serves as an important component of the American Red Cross regional team. The RCD will determine the communication and marketing functions that drive regional business objectives and results, publicize the mission of the Red Cross, support revenue generations, and educate the public about how to access Red Cross services. Work in close collaboration with the division communications director, Field Marketing, Development, Disaster Cycle Services, Service to the Armed Forces, Biomedical Services, Health and Safety, and Volunteer Services staff to provide communication and marketing support. Provides support, development and/or leadership guidance to all volunteers.
1. Strategy: In collaboration with the regional executive and division communication director, determine and execute a strategic communications plan that is aligned with enterprise wide communications and marketing strategies, that support service delivery and revenue generation efforts across all lines of business.
2. Media Relations and Social Engagement: Work with regional executive and division communications director to develop and execute determined media relations and social media strategy, including social media platform maintenance, media contact management, news release distributions, pitching, etc. Respond to local media inquiries by coordinating interviews and providing Red Cross approved information, as appropriate. May be required to serve as a Red Cross spokesperson, train and prepare staff and volunteer spokespersons throughout the region. Review support requests and develop and execute an effective communications strategy. Monitor and analyze public relations and social engagement data.
3. Public Affairs and Crisis Communications: Support regional, divisional, and potentially national, disaster public affairs activities. Provide training and guidance to regional disaster public affairs spokespersons and volunteers. May be required to serve as a spokesperson, develop and implement crisis communications strategies in collaboration with regional executive and division communications director.
4. Internal Communications: Collaborate with regional executive to develop and implement internal communications strategies and initiatives.
5. Management: Manages and leads assigned volunteers. Manages a team of volunteers that can assist with all aspects of regional communication activities, including Disaster Public Affairs, preparedness communication efforts, social media and support for fundraising or event communications. Supervises and delegates responsibilities to communication volunteers.
Scope: Individual contributor that is fully proficient in applying subject matter knowledge. Knowledge based acquired from several years of experience in particular area. Work independently and may instruct or coach other professionals.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field.
Experience: Minimum 5 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and related experience required in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Public Affairs or related field required.
Management Experience: Management experience highly desirable as this position will supervise 2 staff and volunteers.
Skills and Abilities: Outstanding oral and written communication skills required, with proven knowledge of AP Style. Fully proficient in work and industry. Strong organizational, multi-tasking skills with ability to meet deadlines. Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with Cision/TrendKite or other media monitoring software. Experience managing professional social media accounts. Strong teamwork and collaboration required. Willingness to serve as a media spokesperson required, experience as a spokesperson preferred.
Ability to work on a team.
Travel: Travel may be required 10-25%.
* Combination of candidate’s education and general experience satisfies requirements so long as the total years equate to description’s minimum education and general experience years combined (Management experience cannot be substituted).
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment. To be considered for this position, please visit www.redcross.org/jobs to apply.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights