***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****
Come bring your passion for Blood Banking to the Red Cross!
We are looking for a California State licensed Clinical Lab Scientist, with a passion for blood banking, to join our Reference Laboratory in Oakland, CA.
This full-time IRL Technologist will perform specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients.
This will be a 2nd shift position, with extensive training on 1st shift.
The position is represented by a union bargaining agreement.
As an IRL Technologist, staff can expect to perform (in accordance with standard operating procedures and applicable regulatory requirements) basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Primary job responsibilities may include:
· Resolving compatibility problems
· Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
· Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other IRL Technologist duties may include:
· Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
· Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
· Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
· Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
· Performing maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software
· Maintaining accurate records
· Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
Education: Bachelor's degree in Biological Science or Chemistry with MT or BB/ equivalent certification. SBB preferred. California State Licensure required by state.
Experience: minimum of 5 years of blood banking experience.
Management Experience: N/A
Skills/Abilities: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Leadership skills. Ability to work on a team.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights