***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We provide about 50% of the nation’s blood supply as well as humanitarian relief at home and abroad. We save lives every day. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity. Come bring your ASCP Clinical Lab Scientist (CLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) license and passion for blood banking to support the life-saving mission of the American Red Cross Blood Services. We are looking for a full time Specialist in Blood Banking to work in our reference lab performing specialized testing to serve our local hospital clients.
As a IRL (Reference Lab) Medical Technologist, staff can expect to perform (in accordance with standard operating procedures and applicable regulatory requirements) basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other Medical Technologist duties may include:
• Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
• Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
• Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
• Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
• Performing maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable.
• Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management. – Tech III
• Performing staff orientation and competency assessments, if applicable. Performing external customer education. – Tech III
Shift: Split shift (includes day & evening hours) Plus on call. 3pm to 11pm
MT(ASCP) or BB(ASCP) /equivalent is desired, bachelors degree with major in biological science or chemistry (3 years blood banking experience preferred), or MLT (ASCP) certification plus laboratory experience required. MT (ASCP) and/or BB (ASCP) or equivalent desired. State license may be required where applicable.
The aforementioned duties are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of staff so classified under union contract, etc.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights