***As a condition of employment with American Red Cross, you are required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated for COVID 19 or qualify for an exemption. Accordingly, employment is conditioned on providing proof of vaccination or having an approved exemption prior to starting employment.****
We are looking for a full-time Technologist (ASCP MT, MLS, CLS) to join our Reference Laboratory in Columbus, OH.
This is will be an evening shift M-F 2:30p-11pm. No weekends, no on-call. Extensive training to take place on day shift.
As a IRL Technologist at the Red Cross you will perform basic and advanced donor and patient tests, and interpret results to determine donor-recipient compatibility. Primary job responsibilities may include:
• Resolving compatibility problems
• Providing complex reference and consultation services to hospitals and transfusion services
• Performing automated and manual test procedures on blood samples
Other IRL Technologist duties may include:
• Managing receipt, coordination, shipment and transport of patient and donor blood samples and documenting supply and equipment problems
• Managing reagent inventory (ordering, receiving, inspection and preparation)
• Recognizing/resolving testing irregularities and assisting other Medical Technologists in problem resolution.
• Consulting with staff at other medical facilities, to resolve complex serologic problems and providing special units to transfusion recipients
• Performing maintenance, repair and validation of laboratory equipment and software
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing manufacturing duties associated with special blood products, if applicable
• Assuming lead responsibilities such as record review and training; assisting in concern management
• Technologist I: BS in Biological Science or Chemistry with ASCP (MT/MLS/CLS or BB) or ASCP MLT with 4 years of general lab experience.
• Technologist II/III: BS in Biological Science or Chemistry with ASCP (MT/MLS/CLS or BB) and 3-5 years blood bank experience or ASCP MLT with 5-10 years blood bank experience.
• Experience/Skills: Good written and verbal skills to communicate effectively with internal and external customers. Must be able to work on a team. Ability to use a wide variety of lab or medical equipment. Ability to use a personal computer and applicable software for sustained periods of time.
• Physical requirements: Available to work overtime, other shifts, early mornings, evenings, holidays and weekends. Requires standing, stretching, stooping and bending for extended time periods. Lift, pull, push and move objects of up to 50 pounds. May work in walk-in refrigerator/freezers for periods of time. Work under pressure and within time standards. Required to wear protective clothing such as lab coats, gloves, face shields, etc. when there is exposure to blood and blood products and/or where work location requires.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Interested in Volunteering?
Life’s emergencies don’t stop, and neither do American Red Cross volunteers, who represent more than 90 percent of our workforce to help prevent and alleviate human suffering. You can make a difference by volunteering in a position that appeals to you and allows you to use your unique skills and talents. The Red Cross relies on generous volunteers who give their time and talent to help fulfill our lifesaving mission.
Visit redcross.org/volunteertoday to learn more, including our most-needed volunteer positions.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights